Original Poetry Forums

MORE ABOUT BETTYSRAINBOW'S POETRY

02-28-2010 at 04:16:39 PM

RE: MORE ABOUT BETTYSRAINBOW'S POETRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

Logged in as:cousinsoren /Logout You have:12 Unread Private Messages 0 Waiting Friend Requests My Account Poems
My Poems My Poem CommentsMy Favorite Poems+ Add New PoemProfile
Edit My Profile My Profile CommentsEdit Profile Privacy SettingsFriends
My Friends My Friends ActivityMy Private MessagesSettings
Edit My Settings Original Poetry News.HomeReading RoomContestsPoet SearchPoem SearchChatGamesForums.ForumsPoetry Events & NewsMORE ABOUT BETTYSRAINBOW'S POETRY
Post Reply Unsubscribe Page 1 of 1
.02-27-2010 at 09:42:00 AM
Cousinsoren Thank you, for the wonderful comments on my work. Poetry is an experience of life and how you see it. I have met many nice people on this site. I have been able to experience reading the wonderful work of others. This enhances, incourages, teaches,others not only to write but to see the talent many others have to offer. A wonderful learning experience as well. You cousinsoren have a remarkable way of putting words together. Your work is outstandinding. Looking forward to reading your next Novel. Thank you bettysrainbow
cousinsoren
AINBOW

Ms, Robert’s poems tend to be personal, which means that they arise out her experience and are given birth’ through her affinity with people, things and events that are around here, and which arouse or stimulate her poetic sensitivity, from time to time.

In her poem , “Halloween”, her brand of poetic sensitivity is dominant without making effort to be humorous. Yet a humorous quality is pervasive. . “ Ghosts, goblins, and scary things” She captures the witchery in simple, almost prosaic language in a light-hearted mood. Her descriptions and details of movements are cinematographic. Her word pictures are concrete. Her vivid and theatrical treatment of themes appear in “She Danced “, in “ The Thunder Roared “ and many other of her poems. In “Halloween;” Ms. Roberts gets herself fully immersed into the fantasia and delight of the event. Nothing of consequence is overlooked., :””Children all dressed up for the night’;”Mommies and daddies will follow.” The imagery is flawless with no pretence to flowery figurative elements. “Down the trail

that leads to homes/Where tuck or candy waits” A rare skill is evident wherein the poet skilfully clings to a prosaic edge and yet preserves a pleasing and immacu-

late poetic tone.

Ms Roberts repertoire contains versatility and a wide variation of themes.

“When the sun sets , you will see me leave/ I will smile ride heaven bound.’

She is capable in a masterly manner of deep religious sentimentality, The theme of hope and faith are well sustained in this poem by a one line refrain,”When the sun sets,” This technique of bridging stanzas , and sustaining unity of theme by a refrain line or two lines ,appears in many of her poems Ms. Roberts is very conservative in her use or metaphors,. Only one metaphorical line , “When the sun sets” referring to death, is evident.

In “It’s Valentine’s Day”, Ms Roberts confesses that despite all the gifts. “I love to eat the chocolate / In the fancy heart-shaped box,” what she wants most is simply and piquantly expressed, “I want to walk hold your hand/ To hear the sound of your voice only/ To hear the sweet things you say.” In all her poems, her personal sentiments are unpretentious, sincere and crystal clear.

In her poem entitled “Blue” a lover is missed, and she resorts to sustain the theme and unity, by beginning each stanza, except the last, with the phrase “Blue is….” The mental feeling or emotion of this poem is poignant. The concept “blue” is usually perceived as unhappy,. Ms Roberts has piquantly explored this concept in this poem.:

“Blue is my heart, when you are gone.”; ….”When I lie down / Be my blue soft……/ My mind floats away/ Deep in the ocean.”

Once again, Ms. Roberts avoids pretence to metaphorical imagery. Her concrete imagery is familiar and is deeply felt by just the right choice of mostly dissayllabic words. Her lines in this poem follow her forte of being quasi-prosaic without losing their poetic quality,. “Blue is the ocean . Blue is the sky” are poetic clichés effcctively introducing the mood of this poem. .

“Empty Arms” is another display of how well Ms. Roberts masterly manages romantic themes in a narrative mode. “It was snowing when they met./ Their love was one of a kind.” She continues in the same vein, as in many other of her poems, using the motif, “It was snowing when……” concluding with , it was snowing when two lovers were united once more, by death, This is a sorrowful poem which convey very well the tragedy and grief of losing a loved one by war. “It was snowing the day he left army bound”; ”His letters stopt coming / He didn’t return.” Ms. Robert captured to well the experience of two lovers separated by the call to military service, . explored the feeling of loneliness and desolation, and concluded with a bit of mild fanfare of joyful fantasy: “ Outside the window, it was snowing,/ There he was with open arms to meet her,”

Ms. Roberts possesses the skill to create invocations of mood ranging from the fan-

tasy of Halloween to the sorrow of parting to the fervency of religious adoration and prayer. “And Jesus Said,:” is one of her longer poems exploring a religious theme. This poem begin a fervently simple prayewr:

“I come to you ,Lord,/ Down on my knees.” This introductory imagery of someone in a familiar prayer posture effectively sets the mood for the entire poem. She uses familiar religious clichés to reinforce the fervency of the theme , such as: “In the name of Jesus”; “ Again, her style in this poem is almost prosaic and is consistent in ‘the application of what seems to be the trochaic metric foot.

In her poem. “The Thunder Roared,” Ms. Roberts vividly describes the horrors of a thunder storm. “There was a time long ago / When the sun set long before the day.” This poem is a good model of her mastery of narrative and of her technique of inducing a conversational stance in many of her poems. by creating an opening line that immediately discloses what is the theme is of the poem. She hardly depart from her simple quasi- prosaic style. In this poem, she her imagery is vivid . Her descriptions are cinematographic, dramatic, sinister and emotive: “The sound of the wind softly carrying / The sound of the hooting owl.” ; “A gentle misty breeze / Turns into a roaring thunder.”

In “Where There Is A Way,” like in many of her poems, she is almost prosaic. This poem is didactic in nature. It is a treasure of reassurances, admonition , counselling and resolutions. It advises that if one is determined to solve a problem, one will find a way. “The way cannot find itself the will/ It is up to the will to find the way.”

She concluded that this poem was created from her own experience, thus making this poem a personal testimony with which many a person may identify.

“There Is A Knock On My Door.” There is a veneer of homeliness and common-

place domesticity and sincerity about most of Ms . Roberts’ poems. As mentioned before, many of her poems commence with a sort of conversational entrance line: “Door” is a sort of soliloquy, a whimsical poem.. The poet hears a knock on her door. Random thoughts passe through her mind, as she advances towards the door;”The bearer of bad news perhaps,.” She is pleasantly relieved to discover that it is the “pizza man.”. Ms. Roberts induces us to enter with her into the suspense of the poem and then into the relief. This poem treats of a trivial situation, but effort-tlessly induces a smile and a chuckle.

“”Hunger”, “Children peer through the Window,” “It’s another day/ Another day of hunger.” This is an example of Ms. Robetrt’s concern for the human condition. Imagery , pathos and invocation of sympathy are well sustained. She speaks clearly of hunger in the city. In “Close Your Eyes,:” is another of the prolific range and variety of her anthology. She masterly handles her romantic ..themes with the same skill as she treats other kinds of poetry; without being erotic or flowery, “Close your eyes and come with me,/ Let me take you back / A time when life was full of fun.”

“She Danced” is definitely one of Ms. Roberts’ masterpieces. “mystically she dances floating across the floor”. The imagery of this poem holds one breathless as Ms, Roberts induces all eyes to focus on a single dancer on the floor by a dynamic attention drawing opening line which seems to be the hallmark of most ,if not all, of her poems.

“Her feet barely touching the floor.’ Short, rapid verses suggest lightness, symmetry and grace and sustain the focussing of eyes on the dancer. Ms. Roberts’ metrical discipline and conservative use of figurative elements is effective in this poem,when it is enough to concentrate on the dancer only . A single metaphorical image is effectively composed.. “She is the prettiest of flowers in the bouquet / Her bud opens like a flower in bloom / Arms outstretched -- take a bow..”

The eyes of the poetess concentrates on the dancer, but she does not ignore the other admiring and spell-bound onlookers. She includes them, thus perfecting her poetic cinetographic creation: “The crowd claps like hale slaps the ground / Roars like ththunder they exist,” suggesting that there was large audience.

THERE WILL BE MORE NEXT WEEK ABOUT THIS TALENTED POETESS

gringrinsmilegrin

05-23-2010 at 03:26:25 PM

THE FIRST REPORT OF THE POETIC JOURNALISM FORUM

THE FIRST REPORT OF THE POETIC JOURNALISM FORUM

This Forum was created by Suspense who clearly stated its terms of reference and its objectives.
“My work as of late has taken a slightly more serious turn, and I have begun to take on the challenge of writing more pieces relating to current events and newsworthy stories. Stories that evoke such emotion in you, that you are compelled to put pen to paper to get your words out as fast as they come to you to express how this knew found knowledge is/has effected you.

I am calling on all poets to post newsworthy works on this thread, and also challenging poets to watch the news and observe the world with a keen poetic eye, watch for stories that need be shared. This forum is the Original Poetry news source. A Forum for news from the poets perspective. I will be adding to this post from time to time. I hope this catches on, there are a pleathera of issues out there that need to be tackled, and this is the place for poets to come share and learn and be inspired.”

This threads in this forum have got off to a very an enthusiastic start among OP Members. Active participants who have actually submitted valuable items, up to date, are:

Sydney with Kentucky Derby
RyoutUseful, Love Is
Kpeery, Tale Of A Girl
Aria, The Dow Fell Down
R,H. Peat, No Poem Without Implication
The Poem You Thought You Heard The First Time
Thanx For The Invite
Felled Family Tree
Bad News About
The Fields And The Woods
Sleeplessly Pondering
Galileo Is Cursed For The Truth
Springsize, The New Amrican Tea Party
TheChurch Of Hate
DaLushion, Father I have Sinned
Cousinsoren, The Talking Clock
\ The Boston Tea Party
Galileo
A Beach For Every House
Fitz Houston, Obama’s Quest
Sleeping Around Can Bring You Dawn
Agnus Wayne, Independence Day
The Cross, Fight For Your Right For State Parks
JLorian, Death Of A Midwife.
Suspense, The Tragic Death Of Alejandro Vega
Several articles and comments.

CousinsOren, with helpful instructions from John Wordzslinger, has mastered the skill of attaching illustrations to some of the poems. It is hoped that subscribers will practise and use this skill of attaching pictures to their work on this forum, WordSlinger has clearly explained how to do it, on this forum, .Look for it and read it. Let us constantly keep the flame of this forum burning. It shall not go out! Thanks for all the support. If you do not wish to submit poems. you are invited to, at least visit and enjoy the humour and updates in poetry on current and past happenings. We promise that you will not be bored nor disappointed.

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.