Original Poetry Forums

What’s your favorite Psalm?

06-18-2009 at 04:30:03 PM

What’s your favorite Psalm?

I’ll tell you mine. It’s Psalm 90, all about the fleeting nature of life and the eternal strength we can draw from God’s creative power. In the middle of the Psalm, at least in the King James Version of the text, King David reminds us all that “we spend our years as a tale that is told.”
Pretty natural for a writer to appreciate such a hymn, right?

The ancient poet King David , eloquently describes the poignancy of the all-too-rapid pace of our brief human lives, telling God, "A thousand years to You are like a single day; they are like yesterday, already gone."

The poet asks God: "Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Then he adds a prayer that anyone who has seen a bit of life would understand, asking God politely to at least "make us glad as many days as we have suffered affliction."

I feel I have the potential to do almost anything, and have so many different options and opportunities.
"So I got on this train of thought about mortality. I began to feel: There are so many things to explore and learn and there's only one little lifetime we are given!

Thank you for reading this.

Now, what’s your favorite Psalm?

Last edited by WordSlinger 06-18-2009 at 04:30:31 PM

06-18-2009 at 05:11:35 PM

Re: What’s your favorite Psalm?

My favorite Psalm is Psalm 31 it speaks to my spirit and gives hope. it's all the words that your heart cry to God. it let you know that God is there and he hears and he cares. it's poems like this that help me write to encourage others by giving back what god so freely gave to me.

06-19-2009 at 10:13:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

I’ll tell you mine. It’s Psalm 90, all about the fleeting nature of life and the eternal strength we can draw from God’s creative power. In the middle of the Psalm, at least in the King James Version of the text, King David reminds us all that “we spend our years as a tale that is told.”
Pretty natural for a writer to appreciate such a hymn, right?

The ancient poet King David , eloquently describes the poignancy of the all-too-rapid pace of our brief human lives, telling God, "A thousand years to You are like a single day; they are like yesterday, already gone."

The poet asks God: "Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Then he adds a prayer that anyone who has seen a bit of life would understand, asking God politely to at least "make us glad as many days as we have suffered affliction."

I feel I have the potential to do almost anything, and have so many different options and opportunities.
"So I got on this train of thought about mortality. I began to feel: There are so many things to explore and learn and there's only one little lifetime we are given!

Thank you for reading this.

Now, what’s your favorite Psalm?

Psalms 20 is my favorite Psalm. Some may not understand this, but I will attempt to explain very quickly. I was locked in a county jail cell in McNairy County, Tennessee, and I was deep in despair over my future. It seemed like all of my past was trying to catch up to me at one time. My family was left to fend for themselves, and they were struggling mightily just to stay afloat. I was warring with the inner demons of my flesh - all the while feeling the calling of God on my life. I felt that I just couldn't take it anymore, so I grabbed my Bible, closed my cell door, closed my eyes, and prayed this prayer: "God if You have something in store for my life and You have something to say to me, now is the time for You to say it. I am lost here, God, and I need your help and direction. I am going to open this Bible in a minute, and if You want to tell me something, show me." I opened the Bible with my eyes still closed, and it opened to Psalms 20. Read it and you will understand. I am now free from that jail cell by the Grace of God, and living my life now not for myself, but for my family and God.

Thanks for asking this question, WordSlinger. May God bless you and all that reply.

Marcus

06-19-2009 at 11:26:52 AM

91 grin

06-21-2009 at 01:00:03 PM

144! cheese

06-24-2009 at 02:13:30 PM

Psalm 68:5. A father to fatherless boys.

Almost brought me to tears.

06-24-2009 at 04:28:18 PM

What amazes me is the wisdom still kicks ass today, written way before alot of other poetry.

07-05-2009 at 01:44:53 PM
  • KLF
  • KLF

Psalm 40 because He saved me. You will have to had to have been in a dark pit to know what i'm talking about.

07-05-2009 at 03:53:30 PM

psalms 120 is one of my favorite. cheese

07-07-2009 at 12:39:37 PM

91 is my favorite. tongue wink

07-07-2009 at 05:22:30 PM

Psalm's 25 (verse's 1 through 22 )As it ask GOD to take the burden off your heart,To remember you for your good not the sin's of your youth. It ask GOD to Turn upon me, and have mercy on me; for I am desolate and afflicted,It also tell's you to follow in his way,Verse 12 say's What man is he that feareth the LORD?him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.It say's I will trust in thee and not be ashamed; for I trust in thee,(verse 18) Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sin's ,It also talk's about the people that hate you with crul haterd but,GOD will defend you from your enemie's

07-10-2009 at 04:29:44 PM

God has always and will always know me, and no matter how far I run, God will still be there, will still find me, will still know me.

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.