Original Poetry Forums

In and Out

10-02-2009 at 07:11:16 AM
  • poetography
  • poetography

In and Out

In and Out

I dreamt last night that I was doing all these living things.

When I woke up, it took me a few moments to consider if I had actually done the things that I thought I had done while I was asleep and dreaming during the night and morning.

As I brewed fresh Columbian coffee I pondered my dreams.

As the coffee dripped and its aroma started the wake upprocess, I went to the door and hesitated to make sure that no dog walkers or exercisers would see me get the paper in the kind of attire that I threw together at 2:00 PM unthinkingly.

As the Columbian began to take hold, I read stuff in the paper that I thought was stranger than most of my dreams so I skipped over them fast until I could grasp that I was really awake and not dreaming about reading about weird shit happening, weirder even than the things I conceive in my own mind when I’m trying hard to make up weird shit.

Second to strong coffee, a shower is the next best way to make myself know that I’m not dreaming anymore; but some strong dreams stay with me even in the shower, so I can be going in and out of two worlds and using a bar of soap, too.

On the drive to work I see many trees and leaves changing colors and I see the bay and the sky is always different, like dreams are always different.

Being awake and seeing all these colors and changes and different things popping in and out of my vision is kind of dreamlike. I saw and did all these living things today and I wondered if I was dreaming them, and if that mattered.

Poetry is either something that lives like fire inside you or else it is nothing, an empty formalized bore around which pedants can endlessly drone their notes and explanations.

Unknown Source