Original Poetry Forums

The self love hate relationship challenge

05-06-2010 at 12:27:57 PM

The self love hate relationship challenge

Ok, rather then write a poem, I want you to examine your own voice. Its a love hate challenge cause you are critiquing youself. :P (Makes sense to me...)

What makes your poems yours?
What are common themes in your poems?
What poetic divices do you frequently use?
What kind of vocabulary do you take?
Are the poems pessimistic or optimistic?
Do you do anything with the writing? (Bold words, space differently ect.)

People write peoms about nearly the exact experiences (Breakups, love, hate, happiness problems ect...) yet a poem can be completely different. Its a challenge that you will make you examine yourself :P

I'm not saying you can't write a poem that examines yourself as a poet. Hehe

Also chat and help others find what their voice is. If you know someone also does something else well, or how they express themselves.

Have fun! (I'm submitting this cause this "Daily challenge" Needs to be more active.)

05-06-2010 at 12:57:53 PM

RE: The self love hate relationship challenge

I'll post first I guess ^^

Themes: god heaven and hell, heros and villains,

Devices: consonance and assonance, many metaphors

Tone: I usually have a pessimistic view in my poetry. Usually the villain winning

Spacing/lines: usually four line stanzas, with lines between 2-8 meters, no rhyme scheme, or some slant rhymes

(Continueing later, class is over :P)

05-06-2010 at 01:40:44 PM

1)   depression, sadness, dread

2)   depression, sadness, dreaded dreadfulness

3)   devices? ... dread ?

4)   simple

5)   ha ... Pessssssimistic

6)   no

Last edited by lunamarie 05-06-2010 at 01:43:16 PM

05-06-2010 at 03:59:23 PM

RE: RE: The self love hate relationship challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamarie

1)   depression, sadness, dread

2)   depression, sadness, dreaded dreadfulness

3)   devices? ... dread ?

4)   simple

5)   ha ... Pessssssimistic

6)   no

Well if you actually had more poems then one, I could actually help ya with what I think your voice is, but you just deleted them all :P it seems like its all hate there, its a "Love/Hate" challenge

05-06-2010 at 04:05:09 PM

ha ha ... ha ... ha ...

05-06-2010 at 10:34:03 PM

NIGHT ROCKING ACROSTIC CHALLENGE : NOCTURNAL

Add 2 p's and 1 y to each of your ha's and you're 4 times as happyexcaim

Here's a night poetry acrostic challenge for those who don't sleep: .. Crank it up

ACROSTIC : Match NOCTURNAL going down with something related to music..rock on

Necromancer .. canadien rock band rush sings of this
Over The Hills And Far Away .. led zeppelin killer classic
Cynthia's mother said .. lyrics in a dr. hook jam
TNT .. ac~dc classic
Unforgettable .. nat king cole
Rage Against The Machine .. deep purple
Norwegian Belle .. the beatles
Amanda .. boston
Lying Eyes .. the eagles

BBBear
cool smirk

Last edited by BadBadBear 05-06-2010 at 11:02:42 PM

05-11-2010 at 03:23:23 AM

Well, jpmaster, I think I can try to take you up on this challenge, but my styles tend to vary widely. Let's see...

Themes: relationships (good and bad), personal experience, nature

Devices: imagery, metaphors, free verse mostly (I'm never happy with any that I rhyme, for some reason)

Tone: completely depends on the subject. After my father passed, it was very depressing poetry, now I try to include more hopeful pieces. On rare occasion I attempt humor but my sense of humor is very dry.

Spacing/lines: different every time, probably because most of mine are free verse. But for each one I make a conscious decision whether to include proper punctuation and capitalization. Again, depends on the subject and the message.

For example, I wrote one with very specific capitalization called 'Unchanged Core.' (I promise I'm not trying to do the whole 'OMG, read my stuff!' but simply giving an example) smile

Parts of me are scattered
All throughout the past
New traits sprout
To replace those sloughed off
In the name of Improvement
If I was so different Then
From who I am Now
But I am still me
Who was I Then?
In another score
Will I be a third me?
And which of the trio
Defines who I am?
Then Now, or Soon?

Hope this is along the lines of what you are looking for. Maybe you could randomly review some of my work and see if you agree or not. I'd love to hear what you think about the varied styles. wink But only if you want!

Last edited by simoneaugustus 05-13-2010 at 02:23:54 AM

05-13-2010 at 01:31:27 AM

Hi jpmaster13

This is an Interesting challenge...

Here are my responses:

1. My poems are uniquely mine, because they come from my unusual experiences.

2. The common themes in my poems are the injustices I see and the visions of changes I want to bring to reality, I like to play with nature too.

3. I will use any poetic device I can get my brains on.... I will create something new, rip the corner of the box, to find a new view, one that will help in the understanding of problems and solutions.

4. I try to use simple vocabulary, so that the message in my poems will be more easily recognized. I've found that when I use mountain words, without a clear connection, I lose meanings.... and some of my poetic thoughts are abstract, needing simple to explain.

5. My early poems were 98% pessimistic. My current poems are pointed toward cynical pessimism, with optimistic intent.

6. I try to write as if I were speaking... and I will use anything on the keyboard I can find to convey the pauses.... like these dots.... and I will use hyphens, to blend words that don't normally go together, and I like to use question marks, and parenthesis ( ) or a *like this* to really accentuate a word or thought, along with THIS or This, depending on the degree of "stand out" I want to achieve... I really like the ability in written poems to put emphasis on an over-sized syllable in a line, as if to bend it to fit into Cinderella's small shoe.

7. I have noticed poets using colors and beautiful scroll type print for their poems posted. I don't have that ability yet... but I think it's very effective, as colors add to the poem experience, more than the black and white words.

Also, the scroll print (font) used can soften an entire poem or BOLD it up, as well as make a poem look polished versus Rough, scattered words can make the poem appear more harsh or loosely free or angry.

I have also noticed the incredible pictures that each poem is afforded that also adds or detracts from poems... and plants like a seed at the beginning of a reading, of some small preview of the poem.

05-14-2010 at 12:02:07 PM

@simoneaugustus

I appreciate a short poem, not the long "'OMG, read my stuff!" crap, though on the poem, the beginning two lines have nice rhythm that I'd like to hear throughout, that through me off.

Good self annalysis. This challenge was meant to help let people see what their poetry is about, and have some sort of insight as what they do and why they do it. It also helps people know what they haven't done, so they can write something new :P

Thank you for posting.

@Springsize

Hehe I like your voice,
"My poems are uniquely mine, because they come from my unusual experiences,"
along with your "injustices" ya see (common theme in my poetry) its a unique style using all the tools you have to you, including pounding on the keyboard angry to write your poetry :P

Thanks for the post.

05-22-2010 at 03:02:14 PM

What makes your poems yours? My own copyright. Seriously, my poems are spiritual, not necessarily religious nor themed in religion, but come from Jesus, in my heart. I can usually write that, which God puts into my heart in 10 minutes or 2 weeks. He plants the seeds of which inspires me as a poet.
What are common themes in your poems? Depression, lost soul, sadness, victory and faery / silly poems are occasionally fun too
What poetic divices do you frequently use? Devices? idk
What kind of vocabulary do you take? A lot of earlier/older English, switching pronouns
Are the poems pessimistic or optimistic? Optimistic. My poems usually end on the sight of clarity.
Do you do anything with the writing? (Bold words, space differently ect.) I like to change the font depending on my mood; i.e. bold if angry, italic if witty, normal if depressed.

People write peoms about nearly the exact experiences (Breakups, love, hate, happiness problems ect...) yet a poem can be completely different. Its a challenge that you will make you examine yourself :P I believe I shall write a poem now heeheeeheeeheee see you on poem review... Zep grin

05-22-2010 at 04:54:09 PM

Ok poem done. How long did that take, 1/2 hour to an hour. Please read and provide feedback, I'd like to know if I meet this challenge and how well or not I met it. Thanks. I'm happy to reviews yours as well just send me a message. Thanks Ivy (Zep)

Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion.

T. S. Eliot (1888-1965) American-English poet and playwright.