Original Poetry Forums

Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

10-26-2010 at 12:22:16 AM

Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

It seems to me that it is getting harder to find any more good, loving,
gentle poems, to read. It seems as if everyone wants to write about
funerals, the devil, suicide, real murders, rape, wife beating, gory
bloodletting, ungodly things, and sad cases of schizophrenia. I know
that most will say, "If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em." The only problem
with that declaration is, I have to at least begin to read something
before I realize that it is another dismal real-life, gory, blasphemous
piece. Oh, there are a lot of poets here who still give us some wonderful
pieces to enjoy, but, woe, there are some who seem to be leaning toward
the occult...............If any of my friends notice that I haven't commented on
their work lately....well, it is probably because I am displeased with what
they have been penning.....
I just wanted to get that off my chest.........
Thank you for listening............................................................gogant

Last edited by gogant 10-26-2010 at 12:23:20 AM

10-26-2010 at 12:45:36 AM

RE: Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

I have seen this trend too Gogant. I would love for you to read my most current writing."Wrinkles" It isn't exactly poetry but its life, as lovely as it is lived. I hope to have more uplifting work coming soon. Thank you for your post......Swan

10-26-2010 at 04:31:12 AM

George, You have stolen the wind from of my sail.........................LOL

I
cousinsoren
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

the occult...............If any of my friends notice that I haven't commented on
Thank you for listening............................................................gogant

**************************************************************************************************

George, You have stolen the wind out of my sail.........................LOL

I had planned to complain on the forums, this very morning , Wednesday October 26, 2010, about the same sad situation, and to suggest that our morose poets, , prophetic poets and rabidly cynical poets, confine their masterpieces to the "Poets of Blood" Section of OP, so that we can anticipate what to read, if we desire a 'knee jerk" or a "fist in the rib:" or a "rap on the wrist" or 'what teachers apply to the rumps of kids in school, which is prohibited In USA" , sometimes, and by choice.. I won't bother to post what I have written. You have said it very well. I am a member of your church on this complaint, every day, including Tuesdays and Saturdays. . .............
Edit
Flag Post
D

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-26-2010 at 06:15:59 AM

10-26-2010 at 05:35:53 AM

RE: RE: Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleswan

I have seen this trend too Gogant. I would love for you to read my most current writing."Wrinkles" It isn't exactly poetry but its life, as lovely as it is lived. I hope to have more uplifting work coming soon. Thank you for your post......Swan

***********************************************************************************************************************

Hi, Swan,

We are preaching from the same pulpit, "Repent, O ye Poets, and return to write gentle poetry!"

"Example is better than precepts" Never be weary to preach the gospel of gentleness , in your poetry, My Dear.

10-26-2010 at 05:47:13 AM

RE: By the way side I hope

The last thing this forum needs is a bunch of self righteous folks complaining because the poetry offends their sensibilities. If gentle poetry is what you like to read then write it. When the forum turns to nothing but love, nature and christian writing then I will be the first to leave. My suggestion is, if you think the writing is becoming harsh and upsets you, then stop reading and commenting on it. Everyone has a voice and everyone deserves the right to be heard only the narrow minded book burners would think otherwise.

10-26-2010 at 06:06:09 AM

Quote:

Seems you have taken the wise road, to not comment on others means they have no need to comment on yours. To be honest, I do not think anyone has missed your comments.

Thank you for listening Rhymer

10-26-2010 at 08:43:42 AM

RE: RE: RE: By the way side I hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

Originally Posted by Rhymer

The last thing this forum needs is a bunch of self righteous folks complaining because the poetry offends their sensibilities. If gentle poetry is what you like to read then write it. When the forum turns to nothing but love, nature and christian writing then I will be the first to leave. My suggestion is, if you think the writing is becoming harsh and upsets you, then stop reading and commenting on it. Everyone has a voice and everyone deserves the right to be heard only the narrow minded book burners would think otherwise.

*************************************************************************************************************************

Hi, Rhymer, My OP Friend,

Don't get your hackles up ...................Cock-a-doodle- doooo!

Bear in mind that freedom of opinion is advocated on the OP site. without insulting reprisal or insulting response..............

I am a great fan and admirer of your poetry, and I won't refrain from expressing my honest opinion. "Like you," I am not afraid of criticism.

"Criticism makes great poets famous".

In fact, I am not afraid of any man nor of criticism. I have been the Manager of staffs of up to eighty men and women all of different backgrounds, personality , different disposition, outlook and attitudes, during my
professional life. One of my expertise and responsibilities was to see in what direction the wind was blowing, and to predict damage control. The buck stopped at my desk.

Some of us who are aware that there is a serious dearth of gentle poetry are condemning no-one. No offence is meant. We are only advocating that more poets be inspired to write some more gentle poetry. We invite you to join us, in this effort, as the OP site can only survive, if the enthusiasm and interest of its members are maintained by variety and balance. You are probably aware that some Poetry sites, before OP, have folded up, because they became stereotyped, and starved of imagination , inspiration, beauty and feeling.. I am confident that you can help to maintain vitality and variety balance on the OP site.. . Chao. My Friend.

First and foremost I do not have my hackels up, expressing my opinion on the softer poetry. A person reads what they enjoy reading and writes about what they fell comfortable writing about. The original post in this forum was not a call for poets to write softer poetry. It was written because the individual was offended by some of the posts. Referring to some as dabling in the occult. They may have been polite in their wording but censorship was at the heart of the post. I have read the love poems and religious poems so much that now I cannot hardly stand to read them at all. I do because I respect the poets and the effort they make to create. I always give them a high rating regardless of my personal feelings.

10-26-2010 at 10:14:01 AM

Quote:

G,

If you want to live in a bubble, then you have to buy a bubble blowing pipe.

Life is everything the poets on OP write about, it may not be your life but it's certainly is theirs and theirs to write about, and we must honor their feelings, emotions, and words.

It's a good thing that we have you and your poetry to keep us lighthearted.

dahkiss

10-26-2010 at 10:35:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

G,

If you want to live in a bubble, then you have to buy a bubble blowing pipe.

Life is everything the poets on OP write about, it may not be your life but it's certainly is theirs and theirs to write about, and we must honor their feelings, emotions, and words.

It's a good thing that we have you and your poetry to keep us lighthearted.

dahkiss

**********************************************************************************************************

Nice compliment of yours to gogant, Dah.
Have you agreed that we need more light-hearted poetry On OP? . My impression is that you also see the need.

I hope you have relented towards Helios, We have a responsibility to straighten youth when we feel they have stepped of line, but we have a greater responsibility to do it in such a way as not to de-motivate or destroy them. Walk good, My Friend, " Let us not be weary in well dfoing," Chao!

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-27-2010 at 11:45:56 AM

10-26-2010 at 10:54:03 AM

George, I have a strong suspicion that I might fall into your "displeased with what I've been penning" category, and I should probably refrain from posting here... but I can't bring myself to do it. I think it's dangerously important for you to understand that most poets write directly from their soul... particularly if they are going thru a tough time in their lives. If you read something that isn't exactly uplifting to you, know that writing it was a probably a major release of sorts for the poet. While some poets here strive for accolades and praise, others write for very different reasons.

I also think it's important for you to keep in mind that Halloween is just DAYS away. Seasonal poetry is customary, and although I'm not a Christian, I won't complain when I see hundreds of Christmas poems scattered about OP during December. And guess what... I'll still comment on the posts because I appreciate them for what they are, whether I agree with the sentiment whole-heartedly or not.

Keep in mind also, that the Poets of Blood are a group of poets who have worked together for a VERY GOOD CAUSE. I don't generally write in that style, but it was a lot of fun and very satisfying to step outside of my box and do something different to support our country's homeless and hungry.

Just some thoughts tossed in your direction... do with them what you will.

10-26-2010 at 11:12:09 AM

RE: RE: RE: RE: By the way side I hope

Quote:

Originally Posted by cousinsoren

*************************************************************************************************************************

Hi, Rhymer, My OP Friend,

Don't get your hackles up ...................Cock-a-doodle- doooo!

Bear in mind that freedom of opinion is advocated on the OP site. without insulting reprisal or insulting response..............

I am a great fan and admirer of your poetry, and I won't refrain from expressing my honest opinion. "Like you," I am not afraid of criticism.

"Criticism makes great poets famous".

In fact, I am not afraid of any man nor of criticism. I have been the Manager of staffs of up to eighty men and women all of different backgrounds, personality , different disposition, outlook and attitudes, during my
professional life. One of my expertise and responsibilities was to see in what direction the wind was blowing, and to predict damage control. The buck stopped at my desk.

Some of us who are aware that there is a serious dearth of gentle poetry are condemning no-one. No offence is meant. We are only advocating that more poets be inspired to write some more gentle poetry. We invite you to join us, in this effort, as the OP site can only survive, if the enthusiasm and interest of its members are maintained by variety and balance. You are probably aware that some Poetry sites, before OP, have folded up, because they became stereotyped, and starved of imagination , inspiration, beauty and feeling.. I am confident that you can help to maintain vitality and variety balance on the OP site.. . Chao. My Friend.

First and foremost I do not have my hackels up, expressing my opinion on the softer poetry. A person reads what they enjoy reading and writes about what they fell comfortable writing about. The original post in this forum was not a call for poets to write softer poetry. It was written because the individual was offended by some of the posts. Referring to some as dabling in the occult. They may have been polite in their wording but censorship was at the heart of the post. I have read the love poems and religious poems so much that now I cannot hardly stand to read them at all. I do because I respect the poets and the effort they make to create. I always give them a high rating regardless of my personal feelings.

******************************************************************************************************

Rhymer,

I respect what you say here. When we are free to "bare our souls'" without rancour , the OP site will remain healthy and energetic, brimming with energy. enthusiasm and pleasure. It is sometimes good to disagree ( as long as we don't resort to blows...........LOL) in order to agree. "Let us not be weary in well doing"

10-26-2010 at 11:23:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindNumbing

George, I have a strong suspicion that I might fall into your "displeased with what I've been penning" category, and I should probably refrain from posting here... but I can't bring myself to do it. I think it's dangerously important for you to understand that most poets write directly from their soul... particularly if they are going thru a tough time in their lives. If you read something that isn't exactly uplifting to you, know that writing it was a probably a major release of sorts for the poet. While some poets here strive for accolades and praise, others write for very different reasons.

I also think it's important for you to keep in mind that Halloween is just DAYS away. Seasonal poetry is customary, and although I'm not a Christian, I won't complain when I see hundreds of Christmas poems scattered about OP during December. And guess what... I'll still comment on the posts because I appreciate them for what they are, whether I agree with the sentiment whole-heartedly or not.

Keep in mind also, that the Poets of Blood are a group of poets who have worked together for a VERY GOOD CAUSE. I don't generally write in that style, but it was a lot of fun and very satisfying to step outside of my box and do something different to support our country's homeless and hungry.

Perfectly composed, stated, and delivered. BRAVO !! kiss

10-26-2010 at 03:57:38 PM

RE: RE: RE: Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindNumbing

Perfectly composed, stated, and delivered. BRAVO !! kiss

Why thank you, sir. I was worried that it would come across as a little harsh, and I hope that wasn't the case. smile

10-26-2010 at 04:16:55 PM

wow i am not even sure what to say... yes i am..
maybe all of us poets that are having a hard time dealing with life should move on to another site so our depression and dark views of the world we live in do not offend anyone else.. maybe we should lock our thoughts and emotions up inside of us so they can poison our souls and do more damage than they already do... perhaps i could think of other people when im bleeding and be more considerate as to not smear my emotions accross the page becasue as everyone knows despression and anxiety and things of that sort are easily overcome by taking a pill or just deciding not be sad anymore... my desease is not contangious and you will not catch it by reading my words... but you know what you might get... a different perspective

maybe we all need to find god and ask jesus into our lives so we can be saved and walk around with blinders on because quite frankly the world is just too dark and if we turn a blind eye to it then its really not there right...

im done

10-26-2010 at 04:28:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano

maybe all of us poets that are having a hard time dealing with life should move on to another site so our depression and dark views of the world we live in do not offend anyone else.. maybe we should lock our thoughts and emotions up inside of us so they can poison our souls and do more damage than they already do... perhaps i could think of other people when im bleeding and be more considerate as to not smear my emotions accross the page becasue as everyone knows despression and anxiety and things of that sort are easily overcome by taking a pill or just deciding not be sad anymore... my desease is not contangious and you will not catch it by reading my words... but you know what you might get... a different perspective

maybe we all need to find god and ask jesus into our lives so we can be saved and walk around with blinders on because quite frankly the world is just too dark and if we turn a blind eye to it then its really not there right...

im done

Dano, if you left this sight, most of us would end up writing dark poetry forever, and this response is brilliant beyond words. Bravo!!!kiss

10-26-2010 at 05:02:57 PM

RE: RE: RE: Where have all the gentle poems gone....???

Quote:

im done

Dano, if you left this sight, most of us would end up writing dark poetry forever, and this response is brilliant beyond words. Bravo!!!kiss

I totally agree with you Dah. OP cannot afford to lose even one poet. All are valuable, and I daresay indispensable to provide poetic variety and balance . as well as diversity of mood and experience. Poets are normally highly sensitive people. No poet who is worth his or her bacon, wants to be hypocritically molly-cuddled or handled with kid-gloves. Better a judgement be harsh and sincere, rather than be false platitudinous praise. . But we all need respect, and our morale needs support from our fellowmen. .

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-27-2010 at 10:48:34 AM

10-26-2010 at 06:21:07 PM

This is why I hate forums and usually do not post very often in them. I have done more here, by request, than anywhere else. I really do not care what Gogant wants to read or doesn't want to read. A voice crying in the wilderness. I do appreciate cousinsoren, trying to interject reason and trying to be the peace maker. This will be my last forum post, not out of spite or anger, but simply not what I like to do. I like to write poetry, and stories and when I'm not writing I'm usually working a sixty hour week. My time is limited and I would rather read good poetry than listen to others that feel they have a moral obligation to force everyone to view the world through rose colored glasses. Drive by post, moving on.

10-26-2010 at 10:29:57 PM

First and foremost.......I want to thank Swan and Cousin for their understanding.
grin .........................................gogant

purpleswan Posted:

Cousinsoren posted:
George, You have stolen the wind out of my sail.........................LOL
I had planned to complain on the forums, this very morning , Wednesday October 26, 2010, about the same sad situation, and to suggest that our morose poets, , prophetic poets and rabidly cynical poets, confine their masterpieces to the "Poets of Blood" Section of OP, so that we can anticipate what to read, if we desire a 'knee jerk" or a "fist in the rib:" or a "rap on the wrist" or 'what teachers apply to the rumps of kids in school, which is prohibited In USA" , sometimes, and by choice.. I won't bother to post what I have written. You have said it very well. I am a member of your church on this complaint, every day, including Tuesdays and Saturdays. . .............

10-26-2010 at 10:51:06 PM

When I was in the seventh grade, I had a science teacher whom I admired very much. He had a way of teaching that got me interested in science and nature. One day he held up an empty lunch bag and began, "I have placed something in this bag...I will go around the room and have each of you put your hand in the bag. I want each of you to try to figure out what it is, and then write your guess down in your notebook." So, he went around to each of us, one at a time, we put our hand in the bag, felt around, and then wrote down what we thought it was. He then collected our notebooks, read over all the guesses, and then he looked up and grinned. "George is the only one who put the right answer down."
My answer was simply, "I don't have any idea of what is in the bag."

zipper-------------------------gogant

Rhymer Posted:
Seems you have taken the wise road, to not comment on others means they have no need to comment on yours. To be honest, I do not think anyone has missed your comments.
Thank you for listening Rhymer

Rhymer Posted:

MindNumbing Posted:

Dano Posted:
im done

Rhymer Posted:
This is why I hate forums and usually do not post very often in them. I have done more here, by request, than anywhere else. I really do not care what Gogant wants to read or doesn't want to read. A voice crying in the wilderness. I do appreciate cousinsoren, trying to interject reason and trying to be the peace maker. This will be my last forum post, not out of spite or anger, but simply not what I like to do. I like to write poetry, and stories and when I'm not writing I'm usually working a sixty hour week. My time is limited and I would rather read good poetry than listen to others that feel they have a moral obligation to force everyone to view the world through rose colored glasses. Drive by post, moving on.

10-27-2010 at 09:39:02 AM

forum posts like this is what makes people feel uncomforatble on op... we are all suppose to support eachother here as fellow poets and not chastised for the subject in which we write... makes me wonder if i will hesitate the next time i have something to post or perhaps not post a new piece because of the negativity it might recieve... everyone is suppose to feel welcome and comfortable here and right now i dont

10-27-2010 at 09:43:21 AM

I have a new dark poem:

"Laughing At God's Sick Jokes"

come and read, and wander through its dark halls

dark dahkiss

10-27-2010 at 10:11:59 AM

Quote:

funerals, the devil, suicide, real murders,

LOL I think its Halloween and the Poets of Blood movement that's spawned the elevated Dark Poetry submissions. I usually try and toss 2-3 poems per day up on Twitter, but I've been reluctant to put some of the dark poems up. Some are ok, but some might scare some people lol

-Papa Paczki

10-27-2010 at 11:24:11 AM

do you know why i write dark poetryquestion
i justify myself in my last poem -Tell me - what did i do...
talk about Dano`s poem '' what did i do''...

10-27-2010 at 11:25:14 AM

Quote:

forum posts like this is what makes people feel uncomforatble on op... we are all suppose to support eachother here as fellow poets and not chastised for the subject in which we write... makes me wonder if i will hesitate the next time i have something to post or perhaps not post a new piece because of the negativity it might recieve... everyone is suppose to feel welcome and comfortable here and right now i dont

*****************************************************************************************************

Dano, A poet ( or all writers ,for that matter) has a moral and spiritual duty to himself or to herself, as well as to the world, to write as he or she is inspired, or as how he or she sees the world, not looking at things and time with false dark glasses. Of course, expressing himself or herself as he or she best thinks or is moved to express. A poet should not be afraid to ascend a throne of praise or be nailed to a cross of reproach, A poet must be the sower ( Biblical reference) whose seeds , some will fall on rocks and dry places and fail, others of the seeds will fall on fertile ground and bear fruit. (Ask John Wordslinger about it. He knows how to falter and be angry, but never to retreat, but to renew his vigour,.)

Walk good, My OP Friends. . Keep our OP site alive. Voice your dis-satisfaction without fear of insult, Disagree to agree, but do not retreat, but rather to stick to your poetic guns. It might seem facetious to say it, but life can be very dull without a fight, now and then, if we can only be moderate in anger, and refrain from insults and blows. We need more humour on the OP site. In 2011, ( I intend to ask the OP parents' approval) I shall install a 'Poetic Humour Forum. We already have a Limerick Forum , a Poetic Journalism Forum and a Music Video Forum, all of which need a lot of support. Walk good ,My Friends. Let us not be weary in well doing. We need each other with whom to share our poetry, our ideas and our experiences. .

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-27-2010 at 02:53:20 PM

10-27-2010 at 11:48:42 AM

Quote:

I have a new dark poem:

"Laughing At God's Sick Jokes"

come and read, and wander through its dark halls

dark dahkiss

***************************************************************************************************************
I read it and enjoyed it .........................Kudos

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-27-2010 at 03:13:41 PM

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.