Original Poetry Forums

What music are you listening to?

03-19-2009 at 04:27:46 PM

What music are you listening to?

A small leap from poetry to music. What's on your ipod? What artists inspire you?

03-19-2009 at 04:41:16 PM
  • epiksonik
  • epiksonik

Re: What music are you listening to?

i like brian eno , philip glass, stereolab and the Cocteau Twins!!...and a little pop doesn't hurt

Last edited by epiksonik 03-19-2009 at 06:16:14 PM

03-19-2009 at 05:13:02 PM
  • FoF
  • FoF

I had a German Shepard that used to sing to Kenny G. That sax can set a mood.
My favorite song poet is John Denver. Don't laugh. Read his lyrics, there are few
who can beat him. I guess the rest of music taste runs toward the mundane pop.
I love Garth Brooks and Billy Joel.

03-19-2009 at 07:05:21 PM

I listen to a little bit of everything big fan of Flyleaf tho and Paramore. Just recently ran across Thriving Ivory "angels on the moon" great song

03-19-2009 at 08:01:02 PM
  • studly111
  • studly111

I listen to all classical, baroque and renaissance! Handel, Bach, Telemann, Torelli, and lots of lute and guitar music! Bruce Springsteen and Frank Zappa are interspersed now and then to break up the monotony! Also, early Randy Newman! cool smile

03-19-2009 at 11:07:55 PM
  • sk
  • sk

Everything from Tupac to Doris Day...I love Dinah Washington, Bonnie Raitt, Diana Krall, Sade, Etta James, Frank Sinatra, Israel Kamakawiwiole, Bob Marley, Neil Young, James Taylor, AC/DC, and all kinds of country music!

03-20-2009 at 01:59:32 AM

I have been reading "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks about the complexity of how our brain processes music and what happens when our neurology goes awry. Very interesting book.

I don't think i could live well without music. I am blessed with listening to it for the majority of my work day. God Bless Steve Jobs.

My particular taste in music varies a lot. Kinda Kaleidoscopic.
I tunes has made it too easy to explore.

From Brian Eno to Neil Young to Eastern sun to Andrew Bird to High Llamas
From Nathan to Kornog to Bela Fleck to Ane Brun to Talking Heads
from caribou to Billy Bragg to the weepies to Circa Survive to B 52's
from degrassi to Hoven Droven to the Shins to Bjork to Blonde Redhead
From kate bush to kate walsh to Dougie MacClean to Eluvium to Tuung
From sondre lerche to Evanescece to Halloween, Alaska to The Story
From Andy McKee to Fleet Foxes to Verdi to vivaldi to Donovan to Bach
From Antony and the Johnsons....Okay, not much of him. He does got a good voice though

From Stereo lab to Hedningarna to Jen Lekman to Leo Kottke to Antoine Dufor
From Loch Lamond to Midlake to Michael Hedges to Cocorosie to Al Stewart
From Steely Dan to Steve Vai to the Roches to St Germaine to the Annuals
From Sekou sundiata to the most serene republic to Phil Keaggy to Yes
From Death Cab to Decemberists to Jean Luc Ponty to Kaki King
And an interesting guy from Japan called Shugo Tokumara

Among others.

Now I have Flyleaf tho and paramore and throwing ivory to explore. Thanks caspiancri
And i've got to recheck out John Denver and Torelli.

I once totaled up the number of books I could read if I spent the remaining free time of my life reading constantly at the speed it took me to read thoreau's "life of a seed". Sadly It only amounted to about twenty five thousand books depending on how fast the train comes.

Ahhh Mortality

03-20-2009 at 12:03:32 PM

I Have Musically Exposed Myself to;

Gershwin Brothers,
Ratt, Fred Astaire, The Fixx,
Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin,
Alice Cooper, Gene Simmons/Kiss,
Leon Wilkerson/Lynyrd Skynyrd,
Nikki Sixx/Motley Crue, Heart,
Doors, Pink Floyd, Bad Company,
Dave Effelson/Megadeth, Metallica,
Sepultura, Obituary, Mercyful Fate,
Sound Garden (Chris Cornell), Audio Slave,
Korn, Soul Erosion, King Diamond,
Slayer, SOD, Anthrax, Testament,
Lizzy Borden, Christian Death, Rob/White Zombie,
Diamond Darrel/Pantera, Danny Elfman,
Slipnot, StaicX, Max Rebo Band,
System of a Down, Disturbed, Drowning Pool,
Stone Sour, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit,
Ten Years After, Fuel, 3 Doors Down,
Tonic, The Cure, Live, Creed, Pillar,
Rob Thomas/Matchbox20, No Doubt,
A. Lavean, Bob Marley, Wayne Wonder,
The Glove( Reign Supreme), Ice T,
Dr.Rock, Egyptian Lover, Beastie Boys,
Cypress Hill, Kotton Mouth Kings,
Nelly, Ludacris, Eminem, Yin Yang Twins,
Haystack, Shakira, Skillet, Sevendust,
Evans Blue, and my favorite songs of all time.

All Time Love Songs

TAKE ON ME===AH-HA
TIME AFTER TIME===CYNDY LAUPER
MISSING YOU====JOHN WAITE
COME GO WITH ME===EXPOSE
?????? ===ACE THE BASE
INTO THE GROVE== MADONA
CLOSER TO MY HEART===RATT
STILL LOVING YOU====SCORPIONS
NOBODYS FOOL===CINDERELLA
WAIT===WHITE LION
JET CITY WOMEN====QUEENSRYCHE
I DONT WANT TO FALL IN LOVE ===CHRIS ISAK
LOVE SONG===THE CURE
COME UNDONE===DURAN DURAN
IF YOU COULD ONLY SEE===TONIC
STAY THE NIGHT===EAGLE EYED CHERRY
HEMORAGE==FUEL
ARMS WIDE OPEN====CREED
BUTTERFLY==CRAZY TOWN
?===WAYNE WONDER I cant remember the name
BENT===MATCHBOX 22
CHERRY CHERRY==HOLE
PERMISCUIOS===Nely Fertano
POCKETS FULL OF SUNSHINE===Natasha Beddingham

03-20-2009 at 05:58:35 PM

wow everyone listens to such a vary wide variety of music . I guess I do too. LOL My friends don't understnd how I go from rap to country on my mp3 player or on mixed cds that I have. I get tried of the same stiff all the time. I LOVE Variety. I have just one question tho when listening to music do you listen to the words or is it the music or is the voice for me it depends on my moods. Like if I am sad it is the words that I look to listen to if I am mad then it is the music.

03-21-2009 at 03:14:39 PM
  • FoF
  • FoF

The music catches my ear, the quality of the voice makes me pay attention. The lyrics are the icing on the cake. With a song, without the first two I tend to change channels.

03-22-2009 at 02:10:52 PM

I listen to whatever. I'm listening to T.I. right now and before that I was listening to Jesse McCartney. I don't get how people can put themselves in a box and only listen to certain types of music. I really don't get it.

03-22-2009 at 03:10:30 PM

I agree people should not live in a box variety make life enjoyable.

03-22-2009 at 03:46:11 PM

My favorite right now is Seal - "Soul". A remake of all the good R&B back in the days with his own twist. Very relaxing and just take you back. smile

03-23-2009 at 10:56:33 PM

Caspiancri posted "

Quote:
wow everyone listens to such a vary wide variety of music . I guess I do too. LOL My friends don't understnd how I go from rap to country on my mp3 player or on mixed cds that I have. I get tried of the same stiff all the time. I LOVE Variety. I have just one question tho when listening to music do you listen to the words or is it the music or is the voice for me it depends on my moods. Like if I am sad it is the words that I look to listen to if I am mad then it is the music.
"

I used to think i didn't like rap until I heard some that i liked. I'm not sure now that I can rule anything out...and often don't unfortunately...at least not like I should...as far as my checking acct is concerned..lol

Just spent an hour listening to electronic music episonik suggested: autechre, Oval, Marvin Pontiac...which led to skinny puppy, John Zorn, Marc Ribot, Sleepytime gorilla Museum, Morphine Jello. AFX etc

I find that I like some artists better when their stuff is mixed in, otherwise an hour of listening to just them is like eating just white rice all the time.

For me, like poetry I listen for the rhythm, the harmony, the meaning, and when a song has all these I like it the best. But some poems (and songs) have great ryhthm and movement but questionable meaning (like Dylan Thomas poetry, or Brian Enos Green world, Warm Jet album songs)

Other songs have great stories and get me creating images in my mind. (Robert shindell, Roches, Michel smiths Love songs)

I am a lot more tolerant of songs being noisy than poems though. Except Autechres "Draft7.30" album or John Zorns "Asmodious" that had me wanting to scratch my eyes out. Lol..... and they didn't really need itching at this time.

cheese

03-23-2009 at 11:27:13 PM

Coming from the Hippie era, I'm stuck in the 60's and early 70's. But then Sam and Dave. Lena Horne, The Mauds, Etta James, Tommy Castro, and give me the blues!

03-23-2009 at 11:35:33 PM
  • sk
  • sk

Oh yes...Etta James, "Fool that I am", or Keely Smith's "You go to my head"...Diana Krall's "Besame Mucho"...now THAT was music! And NO ONE can beat Miss Aretha singing just about anything...but I love her especially singing "I ain't never...I ain't never....never...no never...loved a man....the way that I.....I love you..." Just can't be topped! grin

Oh and unknownpoet; How about "Long cool woman" and "Crimson and Clover", and "I think we're alone now"....who said the 70's didn't put out anything decent??? That stuff was great!

Last edited by sk 03-23-2009 at 11:39:07 PM

03-24-2009 at 09:36:12 AM
  • thepoet717
  • thepoet717

Wow

There is a vast variety of music that we all enjoy here! SK you had some cool ones I noticed with Dianna Krall, Bob Marley I think you had mentioned which happened to be one of my first concerts along with the stones. Blues everything from Johnny Winter, James cotton, Bernard Allison- Herbie Hancock, AL Di Meola(Amazing Show), Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Yes. I could sit here all day.AC/DC w/ Bon Scott. The list goes on- David Sanborn B.B King Eric Clapton.That's just to name a few

03-24-2009 at 09:58:02 AM

i have a very open mind to music, i listen to a bunch of everything...but my main inspirations, especially in my own music writing are: the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Moody blues, Simon and Garfunkel, seven nations, and Buddy Guy.

03-24-2009 at 02:27:31 PM

Its facsinating to see the wide range of musical tastes in these posts...I must say I tend to have quite eclectic tastes aswell...growing up in the 90s I'm partial toward Nirvana, Pixies, Beck, etc. Even so I grew up on a steady diet of classic country and classic rock, Dylan and Cohen etc. so naturally I love Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Neutral Milk Hotel, Okkervil River, Guillemots, and too many others to mention. I think its important to note that some of the heavier genre's are certainly not lyrically bankrupt...examine any song by Tool or System of a Down and you will find great rock poets.

03-24-2009 at 06:11:50 PM

Depends on what stage of life I was in. 60s Beatles, Tommy James, I was also force fed country. 70s Rebellion time (sort of ) Early on was pop. Mid 70s was Boston, Kiss, Journey, AC/DC anything my parents hated. The 80s were great, MTV, staying up all night to watch videos, Stuck with my 70s bands, but added Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot and many other hair bands. 90s found me turning into my dad, Telling my kids to turn that crap down. They just didn't make music like they used to. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and can't think of any more. Now, I listen to just about anything. If I were to pick a favorite band, Boston.
TS

03-27-2009 at 09:28:29 PM

I would like any one willing to check out Thriving Ivory "Angels on The Moon" It is poetic truly then let me know what you think it is truely a beautiful song

03-28-2009 at 12:02:40 PM

In my teens it was all about pop r&B and metal......In my 20's rap west coast rap like nwa too short herm lewis ice cube ect..... in my 30's it was all about alternative / progressive rock......and now that I'm 40.....i listen to a large diverse library of music....everything from 70's rock to psyco realm to country.......right now for the last week or so I'm stuck on Jamie Johnson and mowing down the roses.......all time favorite.........pink floyd the wall..... wink I'm all over the place......

04-12-2009 at 11:55:53 PM
  • Jaddenblade
  • Jaddenblade

Disturbed, Godsmack, Shinedown, 3 doors down...and more, but they currently occupy most of my Ipod collection.

04-13-2009 at 08:42:52 AM

3 doors down is awsome....i forgot about them.....ohhhh hell I'm going to the record store now.

04-13-2009 at 06:30:53 PM

Im listening to speed hardcore metal the metal that calms the body of the hate and rage cool grin

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.