Original Poetry Forums

Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

01-03-2010 at 09:30:50 PM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Wow, Tempy! You must have either a really good memory of each poem you read over time, or be very familiar with the poets who contributed to the contest. I had considered posting one of my previous works, but have not yet decided which one or whether or not I'll just keep with the newer works that have never been previously posted.red face

01-03-2010 at 10:31:41 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Well, I think Tom made the rule "No old poems" and that makes sense...someone voting could type in the title of a poem in the contest, and see who the author is...if they like the poet, they might vote for his/her poem, and if they don't like the poet...well then, vice versa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Charlie23"

Wow, Tempy! You must have either a really good memory of each poem you read over time, or be very familiar with the poets who contributed to the contest. I had considered posting one of my previous works, but have not yet decided which one or whether or not I'll just keep with the newer works that have never been previously posted.red face

01-03-2010 at 10:55:30 PM

Quote:

I read alot and I read people poems more than a few times

nothing to do with memory

01-04-2010 at 12:30:23 AM

I also have my favorites that I read more than once. smile

01-04-2010 at 05:45:24 AM

Quote:

I also have my favorites that I read more than once. smile

smile tongue rolleye

01-04-2010 at 09:06:17 AM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Changes have been made since then: No OP winning poems... But, that one rule has not changed.
Tom cool smirk

Old poems ARE OK. Just zero-out any previous comments. cool grin

01-04-2010 at 09:09:55 AM
  • Londo
  • Londo

RE: RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by "gogant"

Well, I think Tom made the rule "No old poems" and that makes sense...someone voting could type in the title of a poem in the contest, and see who the author is...if they like the poet, they might vote for his/her poem, and if they don't like the poet...well then, vice versa...

Old poems ARE ok, except previous OP Winning poems... Just zero-out any previous comments.

01-04-2010 at 07:20:56 PM

For all of those who want to be in the contest, I might add this observation I am seeing so far.

Many of your poems are personal to you, and perhaps are your "baby".

This is a battle on an island, right?

Don't bring your baby to war.

If you fight the battle with poetry that can win a battle, then you will stand strong if you lose. To lose and have your "baby" insulted at the same time, can be devistating.

As a judge, I look at the poem not the poet. Besides, the poet is anonymous right?

Peace Out, EinStud (and good luck)
.cool smile

01-05-2010 at 12:11:14 AM

I would love to see some more critiquing and suggestions on my poem. Would not be offended in the least as to what type of comment was left. Can't speak for everyone else, but if you put writings in public view, no matter what they're about I imagine you know not everyone is going to like it or even agree with the point a view. So anyone commenting should feel free to speak their mind, don't hold back, if you hate it...feel free to leave a comment! cool hmm

01-07-2010 at 11:37:28 AM

If we truly wish to keep the contest absolutely anonymous, don't publish the identities of the players until the end of each contest. The only reason to publish the players names ahead of time would be to allow readers to look up the poet which is self defeating, don't you think?

01-07-2010 at 11:47:40 AM

This contest should be anonymous, even though everyone has a style about them,
let the people pick the winner! Its not about a persons name, its all about a persons game.. So let the games begin and good luck all your going to need it!
Inkmastergrin

01-07-2010 at 11:53:52 AM

Quote:

I would love to see some more critiquing and suggestions on my poem. Would not be offended in the least as to what type of comment was left. Can't speak for everyone else, but if you put writings in public view, no matter what they're about I imagine you know not everyone is going to like it or even agree with the point a view. So anyone commenting should feel free to speak their mind, don't hold back, if you hate it...feel free to leave a comment! cool hmm

you learn to deal with it. it's a good reality check. I believe if you can't handle it don't enter it.

01-07-2010 at 04:04:36 PM

cool smile

01-07-2010 at 07:45:07 PM

I think we should focus on fun and the character of the game rather than rules. Rules are meant to guid, not to strangle.

As time progresses, rules can slowly be implemented to achieve higher goals. But for now I think the focus should be on fun and popularity (emphasis on "Fun"wink.

No matter what method one uses to "Cheat", there will always be a method. And too many rules always kill the Golden Goose. (Not meant to be poetic, just an observation).

I want to be the bad guy. (There is no rule for that).

Think of what you want to be in this GAME.

Peace Out, EinStud
.smirkcool smilelong facecool cheeseohhquestionexcaimbig surprisesmile

01-08-2010 at 10:05:24 AM

Whoever posted, and had to leave the island needs to post the poem they had there, to their poem page, all where a good write, so do it, lol, ty WS

01-08-2010 at 06:13:05 PM

I would like to be apart of this in Feb. May the best one win!cool hmmcool hmm

01-09-2010 at 09:35:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Our first week of competition is complete. Three valiant contestants have been air lifted home. We want to thank them for their contributions to make this contest a success. We wish them well in all their poetic efforts.
Week two begins tomorrow ( Friday) at 8PM. Stop in and help us find the Poetry Survivor of the month.
Thank you to all who voted in the first round. We appreciate your time and hope you'll stop in again.
cool smile

I, for one, hope your efforts are not in vain. It might be a good
idea to keep this forum out front so it gets the recognition
it deserves..........................gogant

01-10-2010 at 06:03:06 PM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor...link to the Biggest Loser

http://www.originalpoetry.com/shore-scarce-known
This by far had the least votes, a feat that I challenge any poet to duplicate.
I hope that anyone with an open mind can decipher it's meaning big surpriseLOL

Last edited by Marsink 01-11-2010 at 05:27:46 PM

01-10-2010 at 07:41:24 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor...link to the Biggest Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Marsink"

http://www.originalpoetry.com/shore-scarce-known

This by far had the least votes, a feat that I challenge any poet to duplicate.
I hope that anyone with an open mind can decipher it's meaning big surpriseLOL

If we had been allowed to vote, I would have voted for this one of yours,
Marck. I can't decipher the title, but I think the poem is the dying breath of
a ship and its crew as it sinks beneath the waters.

smirk...........................................gogant

01-10-2010 at 08:54:04 PM

I enjoyed your poem Marsink! If we are taken a crack at the meaning, makes me think of pirates, you got robbed in the sense that it did not get the attention it deserved.

01-11-2010 at 01:55:40 AM

Well, I thank you kindly, Miss Charlie! If you could be so generous as to indulge this link with a mouse click and put your comments on my page, I'll thank you again.

01-11-2010 at 04:56:25 AM

Cheaters should be investigated ... especially if many blank faces are seen on poems ...... or do we just let it go? ...

01-11-2010 at 10:48:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Marsink"

Well, I thank you kindly, Miss Charlie! If you could be so generous as to indulge this link with a mouse click and put your comments on my page, I'll thank you again.

I'd be happy to! Funny thing, don't know if it's just my system, but everytime I have tried clicking your link, it takes me to the start of this thread. I will be sure to leave a comment on your page though smile

01-11-2010 at 10:54:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "lunamarie"

Cheaters should be investigated ... especially if many blank faces are seen on poems ...... or do we just let it go? ...

I do hope that there is no cheating going on. I think it would be
too callous for any of us here in poetryland. I wish those blank
cameos of writers could be given some kind of generic photo...maybe
a beautiful waterfall, sunset, or something......anything would be better
than the faceless poets.

grin...............................................................................gogant

01-12-2010 at 03:05:04 AM

RE: RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Something caught in your throat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aria"

Originally Posted by "lunamarie"

;000 giggle..........................ummmmmmm.............yummmmm........giggle......

gurgle 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

grow up

Poetry is either something that lives like fire inside you or else it is nothing, an empty formalized bore around which pedants can endlessly drone their notes and explanations.

Unknown Source