Original Poetry Forums

Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

01-16-2010 at 09:18:07 PM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

It is so nice to see nice talk between two of this sites finest. I agree what ginga says to you bear, and vice versa. Stay friendly for ever.

tongue laugh

01-17-2010 at 12:16:55 AM

speech! speech! speech! congrats SBear on the civic award!

01-17-2010 at 07:34:40 AM

Thank you Indiancowboy91 and Charlie23 excaim
Yes .. friends forever! Bear is deeply humbled excaim

StandingBear zipper

01-17-2010 at 08:36:14 AM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Here is a new thought for the 'comments as votes' thread. Not to hit the bee's nest with a stick, but... What if all positive comments awarded points, and all negative comments subtracted points? Critiquing a poem only 'gives' points toward a win. A bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone, but you can't give any without it being counted on the plus side.
I realize this would be subjective to the view of the moderator and our trust in him would be needed. I trust him, how about you?

This is just a thought. Please don't kill the messenger. tongue rolleye

01-17-2010 at 09:44:44 AM

dear londo, great idea, however, what if a comment was 1/2 positive, 1/2 negative ... or 1/4 positive ... or if it wasn't positive or negative ... hmmmm ... this would be subjective, yes? ... and too confusing for the moderator or anyone to keep up with ...

i won't kill you ... ?? ... ummmmmmm ... giggle ...

luna

01-17-2010 at 06:05:06 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Life becomes easier when we allow people to be themselves. The name of the game is "Survivor", not "Tea Crumpets at eight".

I had no knowledge of anyone cheating, or care. I do have an edge to my ways that most people do not like.

I applaud your efforts and ability to tolerate others. We teach this to our children. If life is getting a little difficult...

Life becomes easier when we allow people to be themselves.

May God bless you and your family. Now it's show time.

Peace Out, EinStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Einstud,
"I realize now, an honest contest cannot be accomplished.There will always be outside influences, whose sole purpose in life is to ruin novel ideas."
Noone has said anything about Aria in a few days. Until you did. Why don't you let it go? You suggested cheating... Not me. You Have become a leach... I guess you'll get them on an Island...You know the kind... They have nothing better to do than suck the life out of something.

Would you like me to help you start your own contest so you have something to do? That way you can tell everyone how you want things to be. You could even make your own rules. Let everyone cheat (your suggestion) and what do you have? A popularity contest... exactly what everyone has been complaining about.
" A good poet does not need to cheat. They let their poem stand on it's own."

Poetry Survivor week three is under way. What will Einstud do this week to undermine the integrity of the contest. How will he suggest he is running the show and not the moderator. What else will he do to incite the masses to revolt against a novel idea. Stay tuned poetryland... Same studly time... Same studly channel. How's that ? Is that what you were looking for?
Keepin' it real,

cool smirk

01-17-2010 at 06:08:25 PM

You're just jealous 'cause I won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "StandingBear"

If anyone has wondered whatever happened to the kid who was dressed funny by his mother .. look no further. He has appeared, yes OP community .. he has grown up and his chosen name is Eindud .. Ein = one and dud = dud, simply meaning "onedud". Pay no mind to the fact he misspells his name in his posts, it's part of his personality to build himself up. I mean is there truly an adult who wouldn't attempt to build their self up from such a traumatic childhood. Try as he may, there is no open position for him in this wonderful Poetry Survivor Poet Of The Year Contest that Tom has created. It is well known that there is one in every crowd .. we thank you EinDud for "pulling your head out" .. standing up and revealing yourself .. take a bow. ( Amidst SRO Applause ) We now award you the OP boob prize. You've certainly earned it.

StandingBear
zipper

01-17-2010 at 06:10:18 PM

Nicely done. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "lunamarie"

(clearing throat)

I will now take this time to present
an award ... The Civic Award ...
to a member of the OP community ...

he has been a member now for only
10 short months, however, his contributions
to our site have been astounding ...

This poet has given our community a
plethora of exquisite poetry ...

his poetry has been
heart-wrenching, honest, visual, imaginative,
wondrous, and tender ...

leaving us all ...

breathless ...

(applause)

I am now honored to present, my friend, StandingBear

with the 2010 CIVIC AWARD !!!

(APPLAUSE)

smile

01-17-2010 at 06:12:45 PM

Yes, let's hear a speech from the speechless. I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Charlie23"

speech! speech! speech! congrats SBear on the civic award!

01-17-2010 at 06:14:38 PM

I love your style Londo. Whack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Londo"

Here is a new thought for the 'comments as votes' thread. Not to hit the bee's nest with a stick, but... What if all positive comments awarded points, and all negative comments subtracted points? Critiquing a poem only 'gives' points toward a win. A bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone, but you can't give any without it being counted on the plus side.
I realize this would be subjective to the view of the moderator and our trust in him would be needed. I trust him, how about you?

This is just a thought. Please don't kill the messenger. tongue rolleye
cheese

01-17-2010 at 06:16:25 PM

Jimminy Christmas... Enough about the rules already. Are we reinventing the game of Chess?

Quote:

dear londo, great idea, however, what if a comment was 1/2 positive, 1/2 negative ... or 1/4 positive ... or if it wasn't positive or negative ... hmmmm ... this would be subjective, yes? ... and too confusing for the moderator or anyone to keep up with ...

luna

01-17-2010 at 06:20:14 PM

I dress funny. I'm a Dud. I love cheaters. And the list goes on. However, I might point out that while my critique on poems are brash, I have never once lashed out at others personally.

But the day is still young....

EinStud

01-17-2010 at 06:47:59 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:

luna

Thanks Luna (BTW, you are my favorite moth), Let's not try to make this moderating any harder than it is already. Forget I said anything. zipper
- Londo

01-17-2010 at 06:56:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "EinStud"

I dress funny. I'm a Dud. I love cheaters. And the list goes on. However, I might point out that while my critique on poems are brash, I have never once lashed out at others personally.

But the day is still young....

EinStud

I lash out only when my feathers are ruffled...

01-17-2010 at 06:57:59 PM

If a commentator leaves a nice comment, but was not aware to say yes or no, as long as it is positive will it count as a vote?

01-20-2010 at 08:06:47 AM

I think it's fine the way it is- a comment is a vote. Keep in mind, each of these ideas puts more on the person counting the votes. Instead of just going by the count, he must then read them all, then there will always be someone who forgets to put a yes or no... etc - Just my 2 cents

01-20-2010 at 08:57:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie

I think it's fine the way it is- a comment is a vote. Keep in mind, each of these ideas puts more on the person counting the votes. Instead of just going by the count, he must then read them all, then there will always be someone who forgets to put a yes or no... etc - Just my 2 cents

yes, i agree ... i will be the someone ... who forgets ...

01-20-2010 at 10:37:36 AM

I agree that a comment should remain a vote, the idea was simpler, and made sense when not taking ratings into account. I think if someone draws enough attention to their writing that another wants to critique or comment, then that says the writing was good enough to establish a response. If a commentator does not want a poem to go through but would like to critique it, many of the poets have added their poems to their page when the weeks contest was up, maybe that's the best place to critique if the commentator does not want to be added as a vote. My opinion.

01-20-2010 at 05:10:40 PM

Hello. I've been a bit shy here and have only shared two of my poems. I do have many more pieces written by hand. I am interested in entering for February or March, if there is a spot available. Please have a look at my poetry and let me know what you think. And, thank you for this. Peace...

01-20-2010 at 05:14:19 PM

That is smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie23

I agree that a comment should remain a vote, the idea was simpler, and made sense when not taking ratings into account. I think if someone draws enough attention to their writing that another wants to critique or comment, then that says the writing was good enough to establish a response. If a commentator does not want a poem to go through but would like to critique it, many of the poets have added their poems to their page when the weeks contest was up, maybe that's the best place to critique if the commentator does not want to be added as a vote. My opinion.
wink

01-20-2010 at 07:40:11 PM

What a bargain at 2 cents. Sounds good to me!

I think it is a good idea to continue on, as the other suggest. I also think that the discretion should ultimately be left up to the island tribal leader, Tom. He has goals in mind that are far bigger than mine (to make comment on poetry good or bad). And some poets in the game are wanting to play as contestants, others as judges, and still others as observers. There is room for everybody.

Peace Out, EinStud (aka:Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie

Last edited by EinStud 01-20-2010 at 07:47:05 PM

01-21-2010 at 12:22:04 AM

Yw! I enjoy asserting the obvious, it's what I do well!cool hmm

01-21-2010 at 12:25:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongirlie

Hello. I've been a bit shy here and have only shared two of my poems. I do have many more pieces written by hand. I am interested in entering for February or March, if there is a spot available. Please have a look at my poetry and let me know what you think. And, thank you for this. Peace...

Cool thing about posting ol is nobody knows who you are, unless you tell them who you are... so then there's never anything to be shy about when you post your writing ol.wink

01-21-2010 at 07:31:44 PM

I concur with Tom. If the competition gets bigger, he will benefit from the time saving by counting up the "Yes's" and "No's". If someone forgets, maybe it will be Tom's discretion to count it one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetrySurvivor1

Londo,
The poets voted this passed week to not count the negative comments. Noone seemed to notice that one anyway. One rule shot down. So, a no vote no longer counts as a vote for that poem.
Tom
surprised

01-22-2010 at 11:46:45 AM

I was just teasing, sorry if it offended. Not really understanding why my posts were deleted from both threads unless it was taken personally. Thanks for fixing.

A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.