Original Poetry Forums

Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

01-23-2010 at 11:42:18 PM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Come one! Come all! Everyone is allowed to vote! Week 4 is in progress!
Vote for the potential January winner this week per this awesome original poetry survivor contest! Yes and/or No votes are welcome!

StandingBear
zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 01-25-2010 at 06:39:11 AM

01-25-2010 at 07:18:52 AM

It'll certainly be interesting to see voting results at weeks end excaim

DrivingCzar rolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyes

Last edited by Drivingczar 01-26-2010 at 11:47:27 AM

01-25-2010 at 05:41:56 PM

Please include me in whatever month possible.

Thank you

01-26-2010 at 11:54:49 AM

orracle .. contact info per PoetrySurvivor1 per contest openings are located further back in this thread. Republicans, Democrats, all Independent Party's, circle the wagons and come out voting! Only a couple of days left to determine the January Poet Of The Month!

DrivingCzar rolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyes

01-27-2010 at 07:15:51 PM

{splish, splish, splish, splat} Finally I hit land! The first lot don't know how lucky they were to be air lifted out. I saw the natives polishing their spears and I said oh hell no I'm out of here! You would think someone would have sent a boat especially if they wanted us to get back in time to vote! It was fun other than not being ready and having to write extremely quick. Genre writing does have its flaws and those who come next better use their common sense.

On a softer side I felt extremely guilty for pulling the skinny guy out to use, so hip shot slim was at it again! hehehe silly me to think I could write poetry.

A note from the inside is those who critique but fail to hit the thumbs up button can cause the line judge to make a quick call and we all know how all that can go!

Hehehe I write prose because thats how it flows but pop a Dr. Seuss pill and the rhymes just goes n goes! wOOt! Thank you OP!
May I ask just one lil question and that is--- are the losing contestants forbidden to reenter if there is a lack of contestants?

01-29-2010 at 01:25:58 PM

I'd like to take a moment to thank all voters in no certain order .. for taking the time to support and vote in the contest. DancingHawk .. LunaMarie .. Ginga .. Angelnfeather .. Aria .. Grito .. Charlie23 .. WatashLegend .. Corey1Hillen .. Stryx .. EinStud .. Danmartyjake1 .. Kmooney .. Sylvesterd .. Artie .. SpringSize .. Hampton .. Niecy .. CCSlim .. Bklynrizz and all unnamed. It's been a great ride excaim

The Final Decisions .. is the true winning poem for January.
It contains no grammatical errors yet was passed over in a tie with Bombs Over Utopia .. which contains a grammatical error. Just a thought .. you the voter .. may be interested in knowing.

Thank you all,
StandingBear zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 01-29-2010 at 01:42:30 PM

01-29-2010 at 05:59:20 PM

Great Job Standing Bear!

You were already a winner in my eyes, and no contest was ever needed to prove or disprove it.

You are now ready to join the ranks of us "voters", and share some true and honest insight to other people's poetry.

Please do not hold back on your true feelings of these next poems, because I have had countless number of people tell me privately how good of a guy you are.

Now let's throw "good" out the window, and get down to business.

Congratulations also to the First place (tie break) winner (Bombs over Utopia).

Peace Out, EinStud
grin

01-30-2010 at 12:04:13 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

I hope they can handle the "island heat". I'm not holding back this time.

I always wanted to use the mean looking emoticon... grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetrySurvivor1

Hi everyone,
The Feb. contest is now underway. 12 new contestants have entered and are prepared for your voting. Help us find the Best of February.
Thanks,
Tom

01-30-2010 at 02:41:06 PM

I seriously think that 1st mean smiley is there strickly to mess with our heads ^ If you wanna mean one, second row center stud! Everytime I click the mean one and post, my expression, - big surprise madohhangry then it forces an edit.

Don't hold back, let em have it, I enjoyed your comments the first round!

01-30-2010 at 06:41:58 PM

Wow Charlie! I thought I was losing my mind what little I have left. Yes, I tried to use a mean smiley face, but this site is so "anti mean" it replaced it with a "regular smiley face"... good observation Charlie.

Poetry is suppose to encompass all ranges of emotion, not just the one's approved by the powers at OP.

Oh well, life goes on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie23

I seriously think that 1st mean smiley is there strickly to mess with our heads ^ If you wanna mean one, second row center stud! Everytime I click the mean one and post, my expression, - big surprise madohhangry then it forces an edit.

01-30-2010 at 07:19:20 PM

RE: RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

I too thought I had lost it...my mind, that is. I had to re-post 3 times
before I realized that OP must be messing around. I wish there were
more choices than what are offered us...maybe a bawling kid, or a
grumpy old geezer...what do you think, stud ? Another thing we should
do to keep the readers of posts from having to scroll to the right is to hit
return after 15 words, or so...
surprised.........................gogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinStud

Wow Charlie! I thought I was losing my mind what little I have left. Yes, I tried to use a mean smiley face, but this site is so "anti mean" it replaced it with a "regular smiley face"... good observation Charlie.

Poetry is suppose to encompass all ranges of emotion, not just the one's approved by the powers at OP.

Oh well, life goes on...

02-01-2010 at 01:56:12 AM

RE: RE: RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

A balling kid would be great! Over at DeviantArt.com, they have so many "emoticons" in the comment section, that they have to categorize them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

I too thought I had lost it...my mind, that is. I had to re-post 3 times
before I realized that OP must be messing around. I wish there were
more choices than what are offered us...maybe a bawling kid, or a
grumpy old geezer...what do you think, stud ? Another thing we should
do to keep the readers of posts from having to scroll to the right is to hit
return after 15 words, or so...
surprised.........................gogant

Oh well, life goes on...

02-03-2010 at 09:15:01 AM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... January Contest

To everyone involved with the voting for January...
Just so you know, I voted honestly and would do so again in the same situation. If I am forced to print a retraction, I will include that comment.
Please accept my sincere apology.
Tom

This was my message to Malik Peterson as I waited for confirmation to an alledged double vote on his poem Bombs Over Utopia. First, let me point out... This has no reflection on Malik. He did not entice the person to vote. I applaud Malik for being a gentleman through this process. Second, I do not approve of the way this was handled. Things were said that shouldn't have been. I cannot in good conscience accept what has transpired.

There was a double vote due to a person using two profiles. I talked to him this morning. What I have decided to do is walk away from it and let you decide. A couple of points I would like to mention. The same person who pushed to have Aria removed, also pushed to have Malik disqualified for improper use of a word, now pushes to have himself declared the winner of the January Poetry Survivor.

I now leave this up to you.
Thank you,
Tom

02-03-2010 at 09:30:11 AM

Dear Tom,

I believe in a fair contest. I would feel this way, whether I was involved in the contest or not -- whether I was a participant ... a voter ... a judge ... etc. ...

To me? ... personally? ... this is simple.

Whoever had the most votes wins ...

If StandingBear had the most votes ... he wins ...

period.

end of story.

--Luna

02-03-2010 at 09:54:05 AM

Thank you Tom for your honesty. You asked time and time again for advice concerning the contest process. When pushed I related anyone caught cheating should be disqualified. This means anyone due to your "suggestion" this would be an honest contest.

First anyone can see that Malik's poem entry "Bombs Over Utopia" not only received a preferential vote to win over a "supposed tie" but also an "unknown illegitimate vote" from a poet whom voted "twice" for this same alleged "announced winning entry".

Of course there isn't any negativity over Malik's character for he is an astounding poet here at OP. He writes, brings, and shares positive energy as many here do. It's apparent "The Final Decisions" entry won by a "single clear vote" "by the voters". Now that the truth is clarified perhaps the "very same voters" will voice their opinions. The voters are welcome to come out aforementioned by Tom. "Voters .. Stand Up .. Sound Off". You are all appreciated! Every single one of you!

StandingBear
zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 02-03-2010 at 01:25:34 PM

02-03-2010 at 11:01:49 AM

Tom, it appears you do not have enough going on, so I would like to make a request. You had the January contributers, as well as the poems they contributed each week posted with this weeks contest, but only for a couple days.

Will you please post that here on this thread, when you have time. I think it would be cool to know, who contributed what at the end of each month, and this would be a good place for them, as it would not need to be erased then, when the next contest began.

As for the "winner" of last months contest...I think Malik is an exceptional poet, and the argueing of who the "winner" was took away from his victory of going all the way to end, which I do think not was fair to him...That being said, I hope future voters will keep in mind to just vote using one user name, because of the confusion it can cause, even when done in fun, and it is unfair to the other contributers. The contest is for fun, it is to get your work read, so how about keeping it fun. I say Malik was the winner of the first contest, because the contest is over and done, and he was declared the winner. I have already let Sbear know privately that I did not agree with taking it to the forum, before he made the decision to do so. That being said, luv ya SBear! Gotta luv SBear, who is also a great poet, but not the declared "survivor" of Januarys. contest!
oh oh

Congrats Malik! And congrats to all that contributed, including myself, Yeah Charlie!!!smile

02-04-2010 at 04:20:55 AM

In all fairness, I think the winner of January’s survivor is Malik. He was announced as the winner when it was a tie and the moderator got to cast the deciding vote. The February survivor is well under way and I would suggest that January is over but with a lesson to learned. The rules must be clearly stated and abided by, no exceptions. Two rules that have come up that were not clearly defined were (1) my mistake in inviting friends - contestants may not invite anyone to participate as voters (2) people with multiple identities may only use one of them to vote. That was not fair to the contestants or the other voters but at the time there was not a rule about it. Malik should not be penalized for it.

I am certain the rules will continue to be made as survivor goes but the ones that are in place need to be clearly posted.

02-04-2010 at 06:10:25 AM

Thank you LunaMarie, Charlie23, and Aria for you guys input.
These non expressed rules weren't given a second thought simply
because they fall in line with a common sense approach pertaining
to the obvious. A tie never existed.

Papa has stated the obvious. Entry with the highest vote count wins.

The Final Decisions 20 votes
Bombs Over Utopia 19 votes

StandingBear zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 02-04-2010 at 06:16:38 AM

02-04-2010 at 08:30:09 AM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... January Contest

AHA! Let's just move on. I'm the bad guy here, but... I love to be on the good side of good. Because if I'm wrong, I'm still good (and you are too). It is just a game. Let's move on. Let new drama unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetrySurvivor1

To everyone involved with the voting for January...
Just so you know, I voted honestly and would do so again in the same situation. If I am forced to print a retraction, I will include that comment.
Please accept my sincere apology.
Tom

This was my message to Malik Peterson as I waited for confirmation to an alledged double vote on his poem Bombs Over Utopia. First, let me point out... This has no reflection on Malik. He did not entice the person to vote. I applaud Malik for being a gentleman through this process. Second, I do not approve of the way this was handled. Things were said that shouldn't have been. I cannot in good conscience accept what has transpired.

There was a double vote due to a person using two profiles. I talked to him this morning. What I have decided to do is walk away from it and let you decide. A couple of points I would like to mention. The same person who pushed to have Aria removed, also pushed to have Malik disqualified for improper use of a word, now pushes to have himself declared the winner of the January Poetry Survivor.

I now leave this up to you.
Thank you,
Tom

02-04-2010 at 08:34:44 AM

There was a tie, therefore we have two winners. Let's have a "Tie Off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingBear

Thank you Tom for your honesty. You asked time and time again for advice concerning the contest process. When pushed I related anyone caught cheating should be disqualified. This means anyone due to your "suggestion" this would be an honest contest.

First anyone can see that Malik's poem entry "Bombs Over Utopia" not only received a preferential vote to win over a "supposed tie" but also an "unknown illegitimate vote" from a poet whom voted "twice" for this same alleged "announced winning entry".

Of course there isn't any negativity over Malik's character for he is an astounding poet here at OP. He writes, brings, and shares positive energy as many here do. It's apparent "The Final Decisions" entry won by a "single clear vote" "by the voters". Now that the truth is clarified perhaps the "very same voters" will voice their opinions. The voters are welcome to come out aforementioned by Tom. "Voters .. Stand Up .. Sound Off". You are all appreciated! Every single one of you!

StandingBear
zipper

02-04-2010 at 08:38:04 AM

And Standing Bear is the only poet here to have a poem written for him. Think of that.

Quote:

Tom, it appears you do not have enough going on, so I would like to make a request. You had the January contributers, as well as the poems they contributed each week posted with this weeks contest, but only for a couple days.

Will you please post that here on this thread, when you have time. I think it would be cool to know, who contributed what at the end of each month, and this would be a good place for them, as it would not need to be erased then, when the next contest began.

As for the "winner" of last months contest...I think Malik is an exceptional poet, and the argueing of who the "winner" was took away from his victory of going all the way to end, which I do think not was fair to him...That being said, I hope future voters will keep in mind to just vote using one user name, because of the confusion it can cause, even when done in fun, and it is unfair to the other contributers. The contest is for fun, it is to get your work read, so how about keeping it fun. I say Malik was the winner of the first contest, because the contest is over and done, and he was declared the winner. I have already let Sbear know privately that I did not agree with taking it to the forum, before he made the decision to do so. That being said, luv ya SBear! Gotta luv SBear, who is also a great poet, but not the declared "survivor" of Januarys. contest!
oh oh

Congrats Malik! And congrats to all that contributed, including myself, Yeah Charlie!!!smile

02-04-2010 at 08:44:04 AM

I agree with the "Poetess". But some "kindness" must be allowed at the discretion of the "Ruler", on this island. Why not give Standing Bear a second chance? In a new contest. In an NFL game, the final score is the final score. No matter what the tapes show, there is the final score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria

In all fairness, I think the winner of January’s survivor is Malik. He was announced as the winner when it was a tie and the moderator got to cast the deciding vote. The February survivor is well under way and I would suggest that January is over but with a lesson to learned. The rules must be clearly stated and abided by, no exceptions. Two rules that have come up that were not clearly defined were (1) my mistake in inviting friends - contestants may not invite anyone to participate as voters (2) people with multiple identities may only use one of them to vote. That was not fair to the contestants or the other voters but at the time there was not a rule about it. Malik should not be penalized for it.

I am certain the rules will continue to be made as survivor goes but the ones that are in place need to be clearly posted.

02-04-2010 at 08:49:42 AM

Standing Bear. Please. You are a gifted poet, that is for sure. Let's move on to the next round, and see if we can't get you in. Maybe the 3rd wheel deal. The surprise poet entry. Whatever Tom can come up with, to get over this hurdle.

I would love to see more of your work, and doesn't that make you the winner in the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingBear

Thank you LunaMarie, Charlie23, and Aria for you guys input.
These non expressed rules weren't given a second thought simply
because they fall in line with a common sense approach pertaining
to the obvious. A tie never existed.

Papa has stated the obvious. Entry with the highest vote count wins.

The Final Decisions 20 votes
Bombs Over Utopia 19 votes

StandingBear zipper

02-04-2010 at 10:21:57 AM

RE: RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Quote:

And Standing Bear is the only poet here to have a poem written for him. Think of that.

oh oh

:

question

02-08-2010 at 12:00:23 PM

How do I enter

This is something that I am interested in...How do I enter?? Kendlv@hotmail.com

Poetry is what is lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.