01-12-2010 at 11:25:38 AM

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

LOL

01-12-2010 at 12:15:06 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor...link to the Biggest Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Marsink"

http://www.originalpoetry.com/shore-scarce-known
This by far had the least votes, a feat that I challenge any poet to duplicate.
I hope that anyone with an open mind can decipher it's meaning big surpriseLOL

I wouldnt worry about it. if it were different weeks weeks different readers the scores would change

its better to have tried and come last than to never have courage to put it out there. all the poems i've read entered were unique and well I think you should be proud you did it anyways. its all fun its just a contest. You dont have to win to be a poet. If your impressing audiences you gotta put on a show.

I didnt come first i'm kicked off but i'mnot going to let that stop me from trying to improve

Best of luck to the remaining contestants

may you all be winnersshock

01-12-2010 at 05:42:05 PM

RE: Re: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bandit1192"

A couple of things I was thinking about and wondered what you thought....
1. All comments, good or bad are a vote for that poet. So, if someone criticizes your poem you get a vote.
2. O.K. I'm expecting flak for this one..... Original Poetry winning poems are not permitted. I want your opinion. We can put it to a vote. Majority wins.

Once we get this last rule voted on, we can announce the contenders.
Either send me a personal message, or leave a note on this thread.

Tom
smileI would like to enter my poems for February. WritingsbyJanie@OriginalPoetry.com

01-12-2010 at 07:29:50 PM

RE: RE: Re: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

I don't really care how you score the "game". If any comment gets a vote, whether good or bad, it will not stop me from being honest and blunt in my reviews.

I think any poem should be allowed to compete.

That is all for now. EinStud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "WritingsByJanie"

Originally Posted by "bandit1192"

A couple of things I was thinking about and wondered what you thought....
1. All comments, good or bad are a vote for that poet. So, if someone criticizes your poem you get a vote.
2. O.K. I'm expecting flak for this one..... Original Poetry winning poems are not permitted. I want your opinion. We can put it to a vote. Majority wins.

Once we get this last rule voted on, we can announce the contenders.
Either send me a personal message, or leave a note on this thread.

Tom
smileI would like to enter my poems for February. WritingsbyJanie@OriginalPoetry.com
smirk

01-13-2010 at 02:10:58 AM

Let me apologize first of all to any and all poets that I have offended. It was never my intent to cheat nor bring about the early demise of poetrysurvivor1 . By the title of the game, it would lend one to believe it was a contest “survival” not just another forum to post our poetry on and therefore votes were conducive to winning. There was not a rule stating that we could not invite or tell other people about it. In fact, I was under the impression that getting outside people to read poetry here would be a good thing. The only thing I am surprised at is I’m the only one who thought of doing it!

Tom, I would like to personally apologize to you. I know you worked very hard to make this thing successful, I am so sorry that my poor judgment has caused you such personal pain. Please accept my sincere apology to you and all concerned.

01-13-2010 at 11:31:22 AM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

I loved the idea of your contest, tom! Had absolutely no problem promoting your contest, without promoting myself, because I was very interested in some honest critism on my writing style.

I was very discouraged that I did not go through to another round, but not so much when I learned that I am also very niave, expecting all to be honest and follow along with the idea of the contest... to see who is the best writer in contest that week, without solicitating friend specifically to vote on your poem! There is not a cash prize here, people, so what do you win by cheating, not a damn thing...because who cares if you win the contest if there all solicited votes and not based on your style. If you win, based on your style, then you have something to gloat about...

When I read the poems entered in the first weeks contest, I felt quite a few deserved the comments over my own, with as much as I wanted to go forward...based on their style. There are several writers on this site who have an amazing style to them, and if you would like your works to be noticed, Tom has developed a great contest to do exactly that...just needs a little community support.

Tom, hope you don't quit the first month in, but give your contest the opportunity to grow. I think once the first month has passed, and some issues within the contest have been worked out...that it will be better in future months! Hope you stay with it, and give it a chance!

01-13-2010 at 11:31:40 AM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Approximately one month ago, I had a novel idea. Start a contest with one goal in mind... An honest vote to find an honest champion. Simple... How naive! Two weeks into this contest and I"m forced to send a contestant home for enlisting friends (not fellow OP poets, friends) to make profiles for the sole purpose of voting for this contestant. I was told these friends did not know which poem to vote for. All four voted for one contestant only. Then I was told it was a misunderstanding of the rules. I thought long and hard on one thing.....Three poets went home in the first round and did not elicit votes for their poems. They followed what was believed to be the rules.They accepted the vote from their fellow poets. They may not have agreed, but they accepted.

I realize now, an honest contest cannot be accomplished.There will always be outside influences, whose sole purpose in life is to ruin novel ideas. There will always be those who believe winning a contest is more important than the beauty of their own poem.

Before I go, I'd like to thank Marsink, Tempy, and Charlie23. They may have gone home early, but, they have gained my respect. Each has a wonderful poetic ability and an honesty that does not permit them to bend the rules to fit an agenda.

My job as moderator is to protect these contestants to the best of my ability. I feel with this decision I have done just that. At the moment, I am debating closing this contest at the end of the month. It is not worth my time and effort to have " others " attempt to destroy a novel idea.

Bandit, Please don't close the contest. You've done a lot of good work here and I think this little speed-bump has been ironed out. Let's go on from here and make it a better day.
I just wonder if the vote on Thursday will be for 2, or will the final 3 come down to a One-on-One?questionquestionquestion

01-13-2010 at 11:55:04 AM

Anything worth having in life is worth the effort. I personally appreciate your efforts on creating an atmosphere like I have never experienced before. You have created quite a thing of beauty to get poets together to talk about more than poetry. You have people sharing life. It is a good thing you are not God. If God were to quit on us humans, because we do things outside of what is expected, we would not have life as human beings.

God was not a quitter. And it still looks like he has work to do. And your work is not done either. This idea you have is unique and quite frankly, fun. In a way, you are "god" (small "G"wink to the island. WWGD (What would God do?). Sometimes a solution does not need to be manifested immediately. Just cool down. Sit back. And relax. Laugh for a bit. Because you really have done something special.

EinStud

PS And show some mercy on my reviews.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Approximately one month ago, I had a novel idea. Start a contest with one goal in mind... An honest vote to find an honest champion. Simple... How naive! Two weeks into this contest and I"m forced to send a contestant home for enlisting friends (not fellow OP poets, friends) to make profiles for the sole purpose of voting for this contestant. I was told these friends did not know which poem to vote for. All four voted for one contestant only. Then I was told it was a misunderstanding of the rules. I thought long and hard on one thing.....Three poets went home in the first round and did not elicit votes for their poems. They followed what was believed to be the rules.They accepted the vote from their fellow poets. They may not have agreed, but they accepted.

I realize now, an honest contest cannot be accomplished.There will always be outside influences, whose sole purpose in life is to ruin novel ideas. There will always be those who believe winning a contest is more important than the beauty of their own poem.

Before I go, I'd like to thank Marsink, Tempy, and Charlie23. They may have gone home early, but, they have gained my respect. Each has a wonderful poetic ability and an honesty that does not permit them to bend the rules to fit an agenda.

My job as moderator is to protect these contestants to the best of my ability. I feel with this decision I have done just that. At the moment, I am debating closing this contest at the end of the month. It is not worth my time and effort to have " others " attempt to destroy a novel idea.
cool smile

01-13-2010 at 07:48:12 PM

Hey psst hehehe I built a outhouse and it wasn't much at first just a ol rectangle box slid over a hole. It took me awhile to work the bugs out of it like adding that crescent moon in the door for ventilation and attaching a padded seat for frozen nights. Long story short Please don't throw in the towel now when it just got started because after some additions to my outhouse I have a head fit for a king with jacuzzi and a plasma hd tv! hehehe.

Maybe exclude members who join after the contest has began and maybe keeping the next accepted contestants silent, well for the hehehe majority of us!

01-13-2010 at 08:13:10 PM

@poetrysurvivor1 moderator: i luv poetry survivor, the idea and the execution ... and
appreciate how much work it is to moderate such an event with integrity! ty for your generous attention to detail and completely volunteer effort!

@aria et al: i also appreciate a strong drive to "win" ... and would simply offer that i discovered this site last summer after a friend entered a poem in the weekly contest and asked that i log on to vote smile smile smile
so ... i guess i wouldn't be here if some enterprising poet hadn't invited me in for personal gain, lol ...

so now we know ... to be a poetry island judge, one must actually write poetry ... seems reasonable ... and to play, one's work must remain anonymous ... a good rule to understand ...

hope survivor continues! i'm a fan!

thx and peace out
-dh

01-13-2010 at 09:56:54 PM

So, is everybody done slamming aria, even after she publicly apologized
for her misunderstanding?

It's time to retract the claws, stop showing teeth,
and move on, because this kind of vicious behavior is worse than the crime itself.

Peace and Light,
Dah

Last edited by dahlusion 01-13-2010 at 10:07:40 PM

01-14-2010 at 11:33:27 AM

One of the things that usually comes out of the first round of a new contest is a good test of the rules. Not in the case of "are people following them", but in the case of "do they work".

I think what we're seeing here in this case was someone who found a boundary issue that wasn't written in the rules, that the moderator felt should be there. In a situation like this, there is usually not one at fault. You amend the rules, and move on with a stronger contest.

Looks like the first half of the contest is going well. I look forward to seeing more. I always wondered how it would feel to be voted off the Island. I imagine it doesn't make you smile.

-Papa Paczki shock

01-14-2010 at 12:00:40 PM

the tale of odie b. dun

I'm new to this website and the forums and I LOVE finding poetry everywhere I look; but the anger post was hard to read.

Aria has a beautiful heart, and someone said that she should be banned from poetry here, forever, and that must have hurt, so I apologize, Aria --

and I'm ashamed I didn't speak out sooner

because I've lived amongst uglier anger than warblood could ever spill on different views
--- raised in a family where there were five to verbally, satirically and relentlessly wound-to-kill anyone who EVER showed a sign of happy or weak

and on the best days, anger is exhausting

I'm an old lady now, dying ... almost gone

and the pain of carrying all those ugly words hurts me

picture sitting at the right hand of justice and having to remember always, those nasty comments I said to my mother, my sister, my brothers, my lover, my children and all the others

I'm sorry ... I feel so much pain and I don't know what's worse
the cancer in my throat or my words

----- ANGER

01-14-2010 at 12:29:39 PM

odie b. dun...

"and on the best days, anger is exhausting

I'm an old lady now, dying ... almost gone"

lolexcaim

Last edited by Charlie23 01-14-2010 at 12:32:09 PM

01-14-2010 at 09:25:05 PM

Alas, I am a rookie to this site and was very interested in the formatting of the rules, am I to be banned from the contest because of the happenings before I stumbled onto the site? Just curious.

I read Aria's apology. It sounded sincere enough, I would say she should be forgiven.

Just a note, even the president gets one vote and I somehow don't think he votes for his competition. he he.

And last but not least, today my time is limited, I look forward to spending time here and reading your poetry. And perhaps have a few of mine read.

Good luck to you all and banned or not, I do enjoy commenting when I feel a poem is worthy.

01-15-2010 at 12:20:08 AM

"Just a note, even the president gets one vote and I somehow don't think he votes for his competition. he he."

I sometimes vote for the compitition above myself, then I kick myself over and over wishing I could have my vote backshut eye

Last edited by Charlie23 01-15-2010 at 12:21:11 AM

01-15-2010 at 07:56:33 PM

..."worse than the crime itself." I agree. I also think there was no "crime", unless creativity is now a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dahlusion"

So, is everybody done slamming aria, even after she publicly apologized
for her misunderstanding?

It's time to retract the claws, stop showing teeth,
and move on, because this kind of vicious behavior is worse than the crime itself.

Peace and Light,
Dah

01-15-2010 at 08:07:55 PM

We need an island "reporter". Someone to sum up all of the drama week to week, or month to month.

I know there has to be a poet out there that leans towards "journalism"? Maybe one that can give a "synopsis"? Maybe we (weeeee) already have one, and I just haven't seen their words?

Just an idea.... nobody fly off the handle.

Peace Out, EinStud... awaiting the next island devistation (uh... no reference to current news... but may God bless those in Haiti).

01-15-2010 at 11:19:16 PM

I like your contest, Tom ... it was a great idea ... I, personally, appreciate your efforts ...

01-15-2010 at 11:33:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "lunamarie"

I like your contest, Tom ... it was a great idea ... I, personally, appreciate your efforts ...

Right on, Luna. Just think Tom, there are only10 more months to go…so try to keep smiling, and keep the faith…

wink.............................................gogant

01-16-2010 at 07:11:46 AM

If anyone has wondered whatever happened to the kid who was dressed funny by his mother .. look no further. He has appeared, yes OP community .. he has grown up and his chosen name is Eindud .. Ein = one and dud = dud, simply meaning "onedud". Pay no mind to the fact he misspells his name in his posts, it's part of his personality to build himself up. I mean is there truly an adult who wouldn't attempt to build their self up from such a traumatic childhood. Try as he may, there is no open position for him in this wonderful Poetry Survivor Poet Of The Year Contest that Tom has created. It is well known that there is one in every crowd .. we thank you EinDud for "pulling your head out" .. standing up and revealing yourself .. take a bow. ( Amidst SRO Applause ) We now award you the OP boob prize. You've certainly earned it.

StandingBear
zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 01-16-2010 at 10:10:06 AM

01-16-2010 at 08:24:12 AM

(clearing throat)

I will now take this time to present
an award ... The Civic Award ...
to a member of the OP community ...

he has been a member now for only
10 short months, however, his contributions
to our site have been astounding ...

This poet has given our community a
plethora of exquisite poetry ...

his poetry has been
heart-wrenching, honest, visual, imaginative,
wondrous, and tender ...

leaving us all ...

breathless ...

(applause)

I am now honored to present, my friend, StandingBear

with the 2010 CIVIC AWARD !!!

(APPLAUSE)

smile

01-16-2010 at 09:52:11 AM

Thank you LunaMarie for all your kind words. I humbly accept this award not for myself but on behalf of all poets. It is their contributions which make OP possible. I am but one voice .. from the vast sea of voices here.

Thank you my dear poet friend!
StandingBearzipper

Last edited by StandingBear 01-17-2010 at 12:45:47 AM

01-16-2010 at 09:58:20 AM

Here, here lunamarie and a round of applause to StandingBear a compassionate and kind soul who packs a punch in many poems that send us the messages we need to ponder to survive on this earth!! A great poet in deed!!
Fondly,
gingagrinsmileexcaim

01-16-2010 at 09:08:08 PM

Thank you Ginga! You are certainly an outstanding pillar of the Op community .. your unique, literary writing skills on display for all to enjoy. I and the rest of the OP family stand and applaud you for your finely tuned, creative talent. I can only say your statements are much too kind. I'm a deeply humbled, speechless bear as i take a bow.

StandingBear zipper

A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.