Original Poetry Forums

Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

12-13-2009 at 11:06:38 PM

Re: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Okay, bandit. Who are the first 12 ?
Can the poem be any theme ?
Will there be a limit to the length of the poem ?

gogant........................................... question hmmm................... question ohh grrr

12-15-2009 at 09:48:37 AM

I would like to be in the contest for february.

12-20-2009 at 08:19:33 AM

If at all possible, I to would like to be included in February's challenge!
Sounds like lot's of fun!
Slimgrady LOL

Last edited by slimgrady 12-20-2009 at 08:21:09 AM

12-21-2009 at 11:10:19 AM

read my poems-I should be in. Thank you Mark Rohaley

12-21-2009 at 12:52:45 PM

might want to be included later in the year

12-21-2009 at 04:45:40 PM

Bandit: I am ready to meet your twelve on this.
Inkmaster

12-21-2009 at 04:53:01 PM

i would like to be included in February's contest as well cool mad

so if i have no contest winning poems they can be entered?
if that is the case..no winning poems should be submitted zipper

Last edited by phaustprophet 12-21-2009 at 04:55:31 PM

12-21-2009 at 05:28:23 PM

I agree that previous OP winning poems should be ineligible.

12-29-2009 at 05:57:52 PM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Ok, this might be a stupid question...
If I understand the rules correctly, any poem that I already have comments on cannot be entered - is this correct? Otherwise the comments would not be at zero...

I am interested in being one of March's twelve poets!!

12-31-2009 at 02:56:49 PM

Question on the rules: Is there a rule about contestants commenting on their own or other's poems?

12-31-2009 at 05:15:52 PM

I think the contestants should not participate in the voting process; however, that is an honor code that would be hard to enforce. I suppose send PM to all entered and ask their opinion or ask Papa to make the decision.

Thanks,

Ari

12-31-2009 at 05:23:11 PM

RE: RE: Original Poetry Survivor... Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bandit1192"

Hi kah.
Actually, any poem you have, old or new could be entered. The original idea for the contest was to use a poem on the poet's profile. With comments being how we counted the votes, an old poem would need a zero balance to make it fair. Since then, we have started a PoetrySurvivor1.. profile. All poem entries will be entered on this one site.. Now, the point of zero comments has been eliminated. If you are interested in joining the competition, send me a PM at PoetrySurvivor1.
Thanks,
Tomcool smile

Why not have us remove any comments on old poems if we want to enter such, that way the comments would be zero..................................gogant

smile................................wink

12-31-2009 at 05:26:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aria"

I think the contestants should not participate in the voting process; however, that is an honor code that would be hard to enforce. I suppose send PM to all entered and ask their opinion or ask Papa to make the decision.

Thanks,

Ari

I think we should be allowed to vote for our own poem...that way we get at least one vote...thus eliminating humiliation..................................gogant

red face

12-31-2009 at 05:35:17 PM

If the contestants are to be anonymous, posting an old poem is out of the question.

When a poet offers the words to the universe, the poet gets back the thoughts of the universe. It is not a controlled environment and should not be self-centered or self-evaluated....one's own opinion of oneself should not and would not lend itself to the integrity of the contest.

12-31-2009 at 05:55:21 PM

Quote:

If the contestants are to be anonymous, posting an old poem is out of the question.

When a poet offers the words to the universe, the poet gets back the thoughts of the universe. It is not a controlled environment and should not be self-centered or self-evaluated....one's own opinion of oneself should not and would not lend itself to the integrity of the contest.

What a profound statement, Ari. You talked me into agreeing that no old poems can be entered, nor can one vote for their own universal poetic writings...

surprised

12-31-2009 at 05:59:55 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

In fairness, in my opinion, if Gogant posts a comment to a poem by Aria, that's a point for Aria. If Aria posts a comment for a poem by Aria, that point should not count. And as no poems are listed by poet, only the moderator would know which comments would count or not. Looks like Bandit will have his work cut out for him.shock

12-31-2009 at 06:51:43 PM

So all the poems will be on The Survivor 1 , all 12 ???
If that is correct, that idea makes it so much easier.
Brilliant Tom, then you make a Survivor 2 for Feb??
And so on, and on.
Very very cool.

Happy New Year.

John E WordSlinger

01-01-2010 at 07:15:10 AM

Quote:

i totally agree

01-01-2010 at 01:02:48 PM

I dunno that posting an old poem would exactly take away from being anonymous. I agree it should not be a contest winner from the past, but I'll admit I have a pretty bad memory myself, and there are times when I can read a poem a second time on a poets page without realizing that I had read it before. With the great amount of poets on this site, I don't believe I could say who's who's without seeing it associated with the user name, unless it was a poet who I was very familiar with their writing and style, or I guess there are a few that are so unique they stand out to the point of remembering whose work it is. smile

Last edited by Charlie23 01-01-2010 at 01:03:45 PM

01-01-2010 at 02:03:50 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Yes, the anonymous part is tricky. While there are many many poets whose work I don't immediately recognize, there are definitely some whose work I would immediately know...

Tricky indeed.

01-01-2010 at 09:56:11 PM

if the poems are to be anonymz , then why would a link be posted here?
i like the idea of them being posted on PoetrySurvivor1 page and so forth for each monthwink
that anonymity can still be that -only the poets know what poem is their's and can possibly drum up some votes by telling friends where to go to vote for their poem, quite possibly allowing other's poems to be voted on as wellcool smirk

Last edited by phaustprophet 01-01-2010 at 09:57:28 PM

01-01-2010 at 10:08:44 PM

Happy New Year to all excaim
Good luck to all January .. Original Poetry Survivor contestants excaim

StandingBear zipper

01-01-2010 at 10:37:50 PM
  • WatashLegend
  • WatashLegend

I thought this contest was comment driven. Why the need to rate?

01-02-2010 at 12:46:10 AM

RE: http://www.originahttp://www.originalpoetry.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bandit1192"

This contest will have 12 combatants battling for the poet of the month. Three poets will be voted off each week for three weeks. The fourth week will pit the final three in a duel to the best.
1. Comments will be counted as votes. Ratings do not count. Most votes wins. Multiple votes by the same person count as one.
2. Use whatever poems you have available. (comments must be at a zero balance to start)
3. A new poem must be entered each week. (Use strategy, four poems will be needed)
4. The three poets with the lowest votes will be voted off.
5. Last poet standing will be crowned Poet of the Month.

We will begin Jan.1, 2010 at 8pm. All poems must have a zero comment balance at this time. A url to your poem must be posted on this thread.

I have heard many comments about how the OP contest is rigged. Well, This is your chance to be heard. Your vote decides the winner. I have nine brave volunteers who are putting their poems out there for you to read. (would like 12) Anyone interested, let me know. The plan is to have 12 new contestants each month, crowning 11 poets of the month. December will pit those 11 in a final duel to the Poet of the Year. We want to have fun, but also to vote for the best.
Thanks and Good Luck to All,
TS wink

PS Any suggestions for the contest let me know.

01-03-2010 at 08:02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Charlie23"

I dunno that posting an old poem would exactly take away from being anonymous. I agree it should not be a contest winner from the past, but I'll admit I have a pretty bad memory myself, and there are times when I can read a poem a second time on a poets page without realizing that I had read it before. With the great amount of poets on this site, I don't believe I could say who's who's without seeing it associated with the user name, unless it was a poet who I was very familiar with their writing and style, or I guess there are a few that are so unique they stand out to the point of remembering whose work it is. smile

I've read some posted and its annoying I think.

A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.